Clubs: West Ham United FC, Swansea City AFC (loan), Chelsea FC
• The son of former West Ham left-back Frank Lampard Sr, he started his career with the Hammers as an apprentice and had a short spell on loan at Swansea before making his debut for the east London outfit. Helped West Ham to a fifth-place finish in the 1998/99 Premier League season, starting all 38 matches, but moved across London to join Chelsea in 2001.
• First capped by England in 1999, his first international goal did not arrive until four years later, but he scored three times at his first major tournament – UEFA EURO 2004; drew blanks, however, at the 2006 FIFA World Cup, where he missed a penalty in the quarter-final shoot-out against Portugal, and at the 2010 tournament in South Africa.
• A key figure in Chelsea's back-to-back title wins in 2004/05 and 2005/06, he equalised in the 2008 UEFA Champions League final against Manchester United FC and scored the winner in the 2009 FA Cup decider versus Everton FC.
• Struck a career-best 22 league goals in 2009/10, a feat which lifted him into third place on the Blues' all-time top scorers' list, as Chelsea completed the double for the first time.
• Made his 500th appearance for Chelsea in their 1-0 home defeat by Manchester United in the 2010/11 UEFA Champions League quarter-final first leg, and played a key role in the Blues winning the competition the following season by scoring penalties in successive rounds against SSC Napoli and SL Benfica.
• Surpassed Bob Tambling's club record of 202 goals with a second-half double against Aston Villa FC in May 2013. Captained Chelsea to UEFA Europa League glory at the expense of SL Benfica in Amsterdam four days later.
• Made his 100th England appearance in a FIFA World Cup qualifier against Ukraine on 10 September 2013 and was honoured with a commemorative cap to mark the achievement before a friendly at home to Chile two months later.
UEFA EURO 2004: All-Star Squad
UEFA Champions League: runner-up 2008; winner 2012
UEFA Europa League: winner 2013
UEFA Club Midfielder of the Year: 2008