Which team ended Spain's 59-month unbeaten run in qualifying? Which player played as many minutes in this season's UEFA Champions League as any other? Which country has 12 senior internationals in its squad?
• The hosts scored just five goals at an average of one goal per game when winning the U21 EURO in 2002 – the lowest tally by a winning team since the introduction of a group format. With Petr Čech in goal, they conceded only five times at the other end.
• In all group matches since 2000, the Czechs have a better points-per-game average (1.50) than their three group rivals: Denmark (0.83), Germany (1.17) and Serbia (1.22).
• The Czechs have reached 11 final tournaments at U21 level, reaching the final twice and winning it once.
• Nicolaj Thomsen provided the most assists in qualifying (five) of any player in the final tournament. Florian Thauvin of France was the only player to provide more (seven).
• Denmark were the highest scorers in the group stage of qualifying, with 37 goals in ten matches (3.7 per game).
• The Danes' best performance in five U21 finals appearances was when they reached the semi-finals in 1992 – the same year their senior team were European champions.
• When Germany won the tournament in 2009, they finished second behind England in the group stage but then beat them 4-0 in the final.
• Germany's successful 2009 campaign was the only time they have survived the group stage since the format was introduced.
• No player played more minutes in the 2014/15 UEFA Champions League than Germany’s FC Barcelona goalkeeper Marc-André ter Stegen. He played every minute of Barcelona's 13 matches – a record equalled only by the Juventus trio of Gianluigi Buffon, Leonardo Bonucci and Stephan Lichtsteiner.
• They ended the 2011 and 2013 champions Spain's 35-game unbeaten run in UEFA European Under-21 Championship matches when winning 2-1 in Cadiz in their play-off second leg last October. It was Spain's first loss since November 2009.
• Serbia's record (as Yugoslavia and Serbia and Montenegro) is impressive – in eight final tournament appearances, they have finished winners once, runners-up three times, and reached the semi-finals on three other occasions. Only once have they not survived the group stage.
• It is a measure of Serbian football's strength in depth that on the day of their opening U21 EURO match against Germany, they also have a team facing Mali in the semi-finals of the FIFA U-20 World Cup in New Zealand.
• Saido Berahino was the top scorer in the qualifying competition with ten goals in ten games. With Harry Kane adding six in eight appearances, England should have a considerable attacking threat.
• England have won the tournament twice (1982 and 1984) but have only reached the final on one other occasion (2009) in their 12 appearances.
• Jack Butland, Nathaniel Chalobah and Nathan Redmond are the only survivors of England's 2013 campaign in Israel.
• Italy are the only nation to have defended the U21 title successfully on two separate occasions. England, Netherlands and Spain have won back-to-back titles once.
• They are the only squad at the 2015 finals with not a single player capped at senior level.
• Italy have played at a record 17 U21 final tournaments and have reached the semi-finals on 11 of those occasions.
• Born on 13 March 1997, Porto midfielder Ruben Neves is the youngest player at this tournament at the age of 18 years and three months.
• Only Denmark, with five appearances, have played in fewer U21 final tournaments than Portugal (six).
• In four appearances in U21 tournament group stages, Portugal have never got more than four points – and advanced to the semi-finals only once (2004).
• Sweden have the highest number of players with senior caps in their squad at this tournament (12).
• They were the only team in the play-offs to turn around a first-leg deficit when they bounced back from a 2-0 defeat in Le Mans by beating France 4-1.
• In their two previous finals group stage appearances, Sweden have managed an impressive average of 2.8 goals per game.
©UEFA.com 1998-2017. All rights reserved.