Pitch size: 105m x 68m
• Opened for the 1972 Olympic Games and set in the Olympiapark in the north of Munich, the stadium's design by architect Günther Behnisch and engineer Frei Otto echoes both the Berlin Olympiastadion and the nearby Alps.
• Having staged the Olympics, the Olympiastadion became mainly associated with football as FC Bayern München and TSV 1860 München both moved in. Although 1860 returned on several occasions to their former stadium, Bayern remained until their new Fußball Arena München opened in 2005.
• The Olympiastadion staged five matches at the 1974 FIFA World Cup including the final, and was also the venue for the 1988 UEFA European Championship decider and the European Cup finals of 1979, 1993 and 1997.
• As well as football, the Olympiastadion has hosted and continues to stage events in other sports including athletics, motor racing, speedway and cross-country skiing as well as concerts.
• Football returns to the Olympiastadion on 17 May in the shape of the UEFA Women's Champions League final.
©UEFA.com 1998-2016. All rights reserved.