The players in the running for the 2013/14 UEFA Best Women's Player in Europe Award have been revealed.
The shortlist was voted for by the coaches of the eight teams that took part in last season's UEFA Women's Champions League quarter-finals. The shortlist of 11 (rather than ten due to two players being on equal points in tenth place) players, listed alphabetically, is:
• Verónica Boquete (Spain, Tyresö FF – now at Portland Thorns FC)
• Nilla Fischer (Sweden, VfL Wolfsburg)
• Lena Goessling (Germany, VfL Wolfsburg)
• Nadine Kessler (Germany, VfL Wolfsburg)
• Lena Lotzen (Germany, FC Bayern München)
• Marta (Brazil, Tyresö FF)
• Martina Müller (Germany, VfL Wolfsburg)
• Alexandra Popp (Germany, VfL Wolfsburg)
• Christen Press (United States, Tyresö FF – now at Chicago Red Stars)
• Lotta Schelin (Sweden, Olympique Lyonnais)
• Caroline Seger (Sweden, Tyresö FF – now at Paris Saint-Germain)
In the second round, the voting jury for the women's award will be composed of 12 journalists, each committed to supporting women's football and selected by European Sports Media (ESM). The three final nominees are scheduled to be named on Thursday 14 August 2014.
The same jury will also cast their live votes in Monaco during a special ceremony on the occasion of the UEFA Champions League group stage draw, with the journalists using an electronic system to determine the outright winner from the three candidates.
In total, 20 players received votes in the initial poll (those not in the final shortlist are named below in order of how they finished):
|12||Ramona Bachmann, Switzerland, FC Rosengård|
|Melanie Behringer, Germany, 1. FFC Frankfurt – now at FC Bayern München|
|Karen Carney, England, Birmingham City LFC|
|Louisa Necib, France, Olympique Lyonnais|
|16||Kim Little, Scotland, Arsenal LFC – now at Seattle Reign FC|
|Anja Mittag, Germany, FC Rosengård|
|Wendie Renard, France, Olympique Lyonnais|
|Julia Simic, Germany, 1. FFC Turbine Potsdam|
|20||Patrizia Panico, Italy, ASD Torres CF|
©UEFA.com 1998-2015. All rights reserved.