Clubs: Borussia Dortmund
• Schmelzer played youth football in his native Magdeburg before moving to the Dortmund academy in 2005 at the age of 17. Although he began his career as a left-winger, he switched to left-back and managed to oust long-serving Dedé from that berth in the 2009/10 season.
• Played for Dortmund's amateur side in the Regionalliga Nord until Jürgen Klopp promoted him to the first team in summer 2008; made his senior debut in a German Cup tie against Rot-Weiss Essen followed, a week later, by his Bundesliga bow in a 3-2 win against Bayer 04 Leverkusen.
• Ever-present in Dortmund's 2010/11 Bundesliga title triumph – conspicuous by his headband – and scored his first goal for the club (in a 5-0 defeat of 1. FC Köln) the following season as the Schwarzgelben retained the championship.
• A European U21 champion with Germany in 2009 − making four appearances − he returned to Sweden to make his senior debut for the Nationalmannschaft in a November 2010 friendly, playing the full 90 minutes of a goalless draw.
• Played all 1,170 minutes – 13 matches, including the Wembley final – of Dortmund's 2013 UEFA Champions League campaign, scoring the winner against Real Madrid CF on matchday three.
UEFA Champions League: runner-up 2013
UEFA European Under-21 Championship: winner 2009
©UEFA.com 1998-2014. All rights reserved.
|The home team is listed first.||Last updated: 11/11/2014 03:13 CET|
|11.09.2012||FIFA World Cup||Qualifying round||Austria||1-2||Germany||90||0||0|
|12.10.2012||FIFA World Cup||Qualifying round||Republic of Ireland||1-6||Germany||90||0||0|
|22.03.2013||FIFA World Cup||Qualifying round||Kazakhstan||0-3||Germany||90||0||0|
|26.03.2013||FIFA World Cup||Qualifying round||Germany||4-1||Kazakhstan||90||0||0|
|06.09.2013||FIFA World Cup||Qualifying round||Germany||3-0||Austria||46||0||0|
|10.09.2013||FIFA World Cup||Qualifying round||Faroe Islands||0-3||Germany||90||0||0|
|16.09.2014||UEFA Champions League||Group stage||Dortmund||2-0||Arsenal||79||0||0|
|UEFA Champions League|
|UEFA Europa League|