Despite an indifferent club career, Lukas Podolski has been a consistently prolific goalscorer for Germany since his introduction as a teenager in 2004. Voted Young Player of the Tournament at the 2006 FIFA World Cup, the skilful left-footer agreed to join Arsenal FC from 1. FC Köln in April 2012.
• Like long-time Germany strike partner Miroslav Klose, he was born in Poland (as Łukasz Podolski), but moved to Germany at the age of two, growing up in Cologne.
• A teenage wonder at Köln, where he scored ten goals in his debut Bundesliga campaign, he was drafted into Germany's UEFA EURO 2004 squad, making his international debut two days after his 19th birthday and appearing once, as a substitute, in Portugal.
• Remained with Köln following their relegation from the Bundesliga, propelling the club straight back up with a league-best tally of 24 goals and then scoring a dozen in the top flight in 2005/06 only to suffer relegation for a second time.
• Championed by Germany coach Jürgen Klinsmann, he scored ten goals in a ten-game stretch incorporating the 2005 FIFA Confederations Cup before starring at the 2006 World Cup, registering against Ecuador and two versus Sweden − the latter in the Fußball Arena München, which then became his new home after a lucrative transfer to FC Bayern München.
• Struggled to settle in Munich, however, and made only 33 Bundesliga starts in three seasons, as opposed to 38 appearances from the bench, scoring 15 goals, five of them in a 2007/08 title-winning campaign; this led to a 2009 return to Köln.
• While at Bayern he scored 18 goals for Germany, including three at UEFA EURO 2008, and he carried forward that momentum into the 2010 World Cup campaign, registering six times in qualification and twice at the finals; ended 2011 with 95 caps and 43 goals.
UEFA European Championship: runner-up 2008
UEFA EURO 2008: Team of the Tournament
©UEFA.com 1998-2015. All rights reserved.
|The home team is listed first.||Last updated: 27/11/2015 17:36 CET|
|03.09.2014||Friendlies 2014-16||Final tournament - Group stage||Germany||3-3||Argentina||57||0||0|
|07.09.2014||UEFA EURO||Qualifying round||Germany||2-1||Scotland||6||0||0|
|11.10.2014||UEFA EURO||Qualifying round||Poland||2-0||Germany||13||0||0|
|14.10.2014||UEFA EURO||Qualifying round||Germany||1-1||Republic of Ireland||45||0||0|
|14.11.2014||UEFA EURO||Qualifying round||Germany||4-0||Gibraltar||90||0||2|
|25.03.2015||Friendlies 2014-16||Final tournament - Group stage||Germany||2-2||Australia||17||1||0|
|29.03.2015||UEFA EURO||Qualifying round||Georgia||0-2||Germany||3||0||0|
|10.06.2015||Friendlies 2014-16||Final tournament - Group stage||Germany||1-2||USA||44||0||0|
|13.06.2015||UEFA EURO||Qualifying round||Gibraltar||0-7||Germany||34||0||0|
|15.08.2015||Turkish Super League||Sivasspor||2-2||Galatasaray||90||1||0|
|29.08.2015||Turkish Super League||Konyaspor||1-4||Galatasaray||80||0||0|
|04.09.2015||UEFA EURO||Qualifying round||Germany||3-1||Poland||1||0||0|
|12.09.2015||Turkish Super League||Galatasaray||1-1||Mersin||84||1||0|
|15.09.2015||UEFA Champions League||Group stage||Galatasaray||0-2||Atlético||71||0||0|
|19.09.2015||Turkish Super League||Trabzonspor||0-1||Galatasaray||62||0||0|
|26.09.2015||Turkish Super League||Galatasaray||2-1||Gaziantepspor||78||1||0|
|30.09.2015||UEFA Champions League||Group stage||Astana||2-2||Galatasaray||68||0||0|
|03.10.2015||Turkish Super League||İstanbul Başakşehir||0-2||Galatasaray||90||1||0|
|17.10.2015||Turkish Super League||Galatasaray||4-1||Gençlerbirliği||90||0||0|
|21.10.2015||UEFA Champions League||Group stage||Galatasaray||2-1||Benfica||90||1||0|
|25.10.2015||Turkish Super League||Fenerbahçe||1-1||Galatasaray||79||0||0|
|29.10.2015||Turkish Super League||Galatasaray||4-0||Eskişehirspor||90||0||0|
|03.11.2015||UEFA Champions League||Group stage||Benfica||2-1||Galatasaray||90||1||0|
|07.11.2015||Turkish Super League||Rizespor||4-3||Galatasaray||90||1||1|
|21.11.2015||Turkish Super League||Galatasaray||3-3||Antalyaspor||90||1||0|
|25.11.2015||UEFA Champions League||Group stage||Atlético||2-0||Galatasaray||90||0||0|
|UEFA Champions League|
|UEFA Europa League|