A tall target man who can also play in a wide midfield or winger role, Giorgos Samaras has a sure touch and is an expert at bringing others into play. He has never played domestic football in Greece but has now passed half a century of caps for his country and will attend his third major tournament at UEFA EURO 2012.
• Born on the island of Crete to an Australian-born father, Giannis, who played professionally for Panathinaikos FC and Greece (16 caps), Giorgos moved to the Netherlands at 16 and made his Eredivisie debut at 17 for sc Heerenveen.
• Generally a substitute for Heerenveen but managed 25 Eredivisie goals plus two in the UEFA Cup before crossing the North Sea to join Manchester City FC in January 2006.
• Handed his international debut a month later, in a friendly against Belarus in Cyprus, he was on target in his first two matches for Greece then played in eight UEFA EURO 2008 qualifiers before making just one 45-minute substitute appearance, against Sweden, at the finals.
• Left City for Celtic FC in a loan deal in January 2008 and scored five goals in the club's SPL title triumph; also appeared twice as substitute against FC Barcelona in his first taste of the UEFA Champions League.
• Signed permanently for the Bhoys and emerged as a key figure, scoring 15 league goals in 2008/09 and ten the following term, but was subsequently bedevilled by inconsistency as Celtic went three seasons without winning the league.
• Made three appearances for Greece at the 2010 World Cup and eight starts under new boss Fernando Santos during UEFA EURO 2012 qualifying, his one goal, in a 2-0 home win against Croatia, helping to cement the team's passage to Poland and Ukraine; won his 50th cap the following month in a friendly versus Russia.
©UEFA.com 1998-2014. All rights reserved.
|The home team is listed first.||Last updated: 09/07/2014 17:53 CET|
|15.08.2012||Friendlies 2014-16||First round||Norway||2-3||Greece||46||0||0|
|07.09.2012||FIFA World Cup||Qualifying round||Latvia||1-2||Greece||22||0||0|
|12.10.2012||FIFA World Cup||Qualifying round||Greece||0-0||Bosnia and Herzegovina||90||0||0|
|16.10.2012||FIFA World Cup||Qualifying round||Slovakia||0-1||Greece||90||0||0|
|14.11.2012||Friendlies 2014-16||First round||Republic of Ireland||0-1||Greece||46||0||0|
|22.03.2013||FIFA World Cup||Qualifying round||Bosnia and Herzegovina||3-1||Greece||90||0||1|
|07.06.2013||FIFA World Cup||Qualifying round||Lithuania||0-1||Greece||90||0||0|
|10.09.2013||FIFA World Cup||Qualifying round||Greece||1-0||Latvia||88||0||1|
|11.10.2013||FIFA World Cup||Qualifying round||Greece||1-0||Slovakia||90||0||0|
|15.10.2013||FIFA World Cup||Qualifying round||Greece||2-0||Liechtenstein||70||0||0|
|15.11.2013||FIFA World Cup||Play-off for Final Tournament||Greece||3-1||Romania||90||0||0|
|19.11.2013||FIFA World Cup||Play-off for Final Tournament||Romania||1-1||Greece||90||0||0|
|31.05.2014||Friendlies 2014-16||First round||Portugal||0-0||Greece||86||0||0|
|04.06.2014||Friendlies 2014-16||First round||Greece||0-0||Nigeria||16||0||0|
|07.06.2014||Friendlies 2014-16||First round||Greece||2-1||Bolivia||78||0||0|
|14.06.2014||FIFA World Cup||Final tournament - Group stage||Colombia||3-0||Greece||90||0||0|
|19.06.2014||FIFA World Cup||Final tournament - Group stage||Japan||0-0||Greece||90||0||0|
|24.06.2014||FIFA World Cup||Final tournament - Group stage||Greece||2-1||Ivory Coast||90||1||1|
|29.06.2014||FIFA World Cup||Round of 16||Costa Rica||1-1|
|UEFA Champions League|
|UEFA Europa League|
|UEFA Intertoto Cup|