A skilful left-winger who generally operates on the right, former Under-21 international Adam Johnson scored in each of England's opening two UEFA EURO 2012 qualifiers against Bulgaria and Switzerland. Despite his ability to take on and beat defenders, he is used more often than not as a substitute by Manchester City FC.
• Though born in Sunderland, Johnson joined the youth academy at nearby Middlesbrough FC and helped the club win the FA Youth Cup in 2004.
• Made his first-team debut in a UEFA Cup game at Sporting Clube de Portugal but had to wait almost six months for his Premier League bow – and first senior start, a 2-1 home win against Arsenal FC on 10 September 2005; he made three appearances as Boro reached the UEFA Cup final that season.
• Kept out of the first team by England international Stewart Downing, he had loan spells at Leeds United AFC and Watford FC before excelling at Boro in 2009/10 following the club's relegation from Premier League.
• Scored 11 Championship goals in the first half of the 2009/10 campaign, earning a mid-term transfer to Manchester City, where he maintained his form and came close to making England's 2010 FIFA World Cup squad.
• One of the England U21 side's standout performers in their run to the 2009 UEFA European Under-21 Championship final in Sweden, he won his first senior cap against Mexico on 24 May 2010 and came off the bench to score in UEFA EURO 2012 qualifiers against Bulgaria and Switzerland later that year.
UEFA European Under-21 Championship: runner-up 2009
©UEFA.com 1998-2016. All rights reserved.
|The home team is listed first.||Last updated: 08/02/2016 02:12 CET|
|08.08.2015||English Premier League||Leicester||4-2||Sunderland||90||0||1|
|19.09.2015||English Premier League||Bournemouth||2-0||Sunderland||18||0||0|
|22.09.2015||English League Cup||Third round||Sunderland||1-4||Man. City||90||0||0|
|26.09.2015||English Premier League||Man. United||3-0||Sunderland||45||0||0|
|17.10.2015||English Premier League||West Brom||1-0||Sunderland||29||0||0|
|25.10.2015||English Premier League||Sunderland||3-0||Newcastle||90||1||0|
|01.11.2015||English Premier League||Everton||6-2||Sunderland||90||0||0|
|07.11.2015||English Premier League||Sunderland||0-1||Southampton||90||0||0|
|28.11.2015||English Premier League||Sunderland||2-0||Stoke||16||0||1|
|05.12.2015||English Premier League||Arsenal||3-1||Sunderland||23||0||0|
|12.12.2015||English Premier League||Sunderland||0-1||Watford||33||0||0|
|19.12.2015||English Premier League||Chelsea||3-1||Sunderland||67||0||0|
|26.12.2015||English Premier League||Man. City||4-1||Sunderland||90||0||0|
|30.12.2015||English Premier League||Sunderland||0-1||Liverpool||63||0||0|
|02.01.2016||English Premier League||Sunderland||3-1||Aston Villa||89||0||1|
|13.01.2016||English Premier League||Swansea||2-4||Sunderland||90||0||2|
|16.01.2016||English Premier League||Tottenham||4-1||Sunderland||90||0||1|
|02.02.2016||English Premier League||Sunderland||0-1||Man. City||15||0||0|
|06.02.2016||English Premier League||Liverpool||2-2||Sunderland||24||1||0|
|UEFA Champions League|
|UEFA Europa League|