Italy are unbeaten in 38 competitive home games as they welcome Norway in their final UEFA EURO 2016 qualifier looking to confirm first place in Group H.
Article top media content
Italy have not lost a competitive home game this century and will finish first in Group H if they continue that run against Norway, who have their own reasons for wanting three points in Rome.
• Italy qualified for their sixth consecutive UEFA EURO final tournament by winning 3-1 in Azerbaijan on 10 October. They will clinch the section if they avoid defeat against Norway.
• Norway, certain of a play-off berth, are two points behind Italy and as many ahead of Croatia, who visit Malta in their final fixture. Norway, having lost 5-1 in Croatia and won the return fixture 2-0, need to win in Rome to be certain of a top-two finish. Should Croatia win, a draw or a defeat would send Norway into the play-offs.
• Simone Zaza's first international goal and an effort from defender Leonardo Bonucci secured Italy a 2-0 win in Norway on 9 September 2014. It was Antonio Conte's first match in charge of the Azzurri.
• That was the first time since Italy beat Norway 3-1 in Oslo in a friendly on 27 May 1937 that there had been a margin of more than a goal between the sides.
• Norway's record in 16 games against Italy is W3 D4 L9. The nations also met on neutral territory at the 1938, 1994 and 1998 FIFA World Cup finals, Italy winning all three matches by single-goal margins.
• Italy are unbeaten in 38 home qualifiers (W32 D6) since a 3-2 loss to Denmark in September 1999. However, they have been eking out results at home of late; their record in their last seven competitive home fixtures is W5 D2, with none of those victories by a margin of more than one goal.
• Italy have yet to lose in 15 competitive games in Rome (W10 D5).
• Norway have won three of their four Group H away trips – the exception being a 5-1 defeat in Croatia in March.
• The latest booking list is available here: http://www.uefa.org/disciplinary/disciplinary-cases/booking-lists/index.html.
Trivia and links
• Italian clubs' record in 27 UEFA competition games against Norwegian sides reads W19 D5 L3 (W11 D0 L2 at home – W8 D5 L1 in Norway).