Hungary bound for finals after Norway win

Hungary 2-1 Norway (agg: 3-1)Tamás Priskin's splendid 14th-minute finish and a late own goal steered the Magyars to their first major final tournament since 1986.

  • Fine Tamás Priskin strike puts Hungary firmly in charge in front of noisy crowd
  • Own goal in closing stages dispels any lingering nerves in Budapest
  • Markus Henriksen strike takes little gloss of Bernd Storck's side's achievement
  • Hungary reach first EURO since 1972; first finals since 1986 FIFA World Cup
  • Teams wear black armbands and observe minute's silence following events in Paris

A fabulous second-leg performance secured Hungary's place at UEFA EURO 2016, Bernd Storck's men dispatching Norway 2-1 on the night and 3-1 on aggregate.

A superb strike from Tamás Priskin gave Hungary an early lead and they confidently held on to it for much of the match, doubling their advantage through a Markus Henriksen own goal before the same player grabbed one back for Norway, but to no avail for the away team.

Balázs Dzsudzsák seized on a loose ball to try his luck after just forty seconds, but Ørjan Nyland gathered easily, and Norway struggled to unsettle a Hungary side that defended deep and broke at pace. From one such attack, Hungary took a sensational lead through Priskin, as he chased down a long pass from Tamás Kádár, cut inside and curled a ferocious shot into the far right corner of the net from 18 metres.

That left Norway needing to score at least twice, and Per-Mathias Høgmo's men nearly did get a goal back through Haitam Aleesami, but Gábor Király saved well with his legs. Still Hungary applied the pressure and Gergő Lovrencsics's far-post header from László Kleinheisler's whipped right-wing cross was only a metre wide.

Priskin: Best goal of my life
Priskin: Best goal of my life

After the interval, Hungary brought on Ádám Pintér for Ákos Elek in a bid to beef up the midfield, while Norway drafted in Pål André Helland and Marcus Pedersen for Mohamed Elyounoussi and 16-year-old Martin Ødegaard. The pattern of the game remained largely unaltered, though, with Hungary sitting deep, nullifying Norway's attacks and countering. From one such break, Dzudzsák hit the crossbar just before the hour mark.

Nyland kept his team in the tie with a superb low save from Hungary's captain before Norway finally created some chances, Marcus Pedersen having a close-range shot superbly blocked by Király and Markus Henriksen firing over from a narrow angle.

Hungary were thus relieved when Henriksen accidentally steered Dániel Böde's flick-on towards his own goal, Nyland unable to keep it out. The AZ Alkmaar man made some amends with a low finish at the other end, but Norway could do nothing else to dampen Hungary's full-time celebrations.