Seven places at UEFA Futsal EURO 2016 in Serbia will be decided over the next week as the main round is played with holders Italy among 28 hopefuls.
Article top media content
The main round of UEFA Futsal EURO 2016 qualifying kicks off on Wednesday with holders Italy among the 28 teams aiming to qualify for the finals in Serbia. UEFA.com previews the action.
• All qualification matches on Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday.
• The seven group winners will advance to join hosts Serbia in the final tournament from 2–13 February 2016.
• The seven runners-up plus the best third-placed team will enter the play-offs on 15 and 22 September 2015 (drawn on 10 June). The winners of these four two-legged ties will complete the 12-nation lineup for the finals.
Preview: *Mini-tournament hosts
Group 1: Russia, Netherlands, Bosnia and Herzegovina*, Latvia
• Russia beat the Netherlands 7-1 in the group stage on their way to the 2014 final in Antwerp.
• The Netherlands pipped Bosnia and Herzegovina in the 2014 play-offs on away goals.
• Spain's run of four straight titles since 2005 was ended by Russia in the 2014 semi-finals.
• Switzerland are competing in this round for the first time and FYR Macedonia are seeking a maiden qualification.
• Italy followed up their 2003 home triumph by claiming the European title in Antwerp last year.
• Belarus qualified in 2010; Italy overcame Finland 5-1 in 2014 qualifying
• Of these four sides, only Denmark did not participate in the 2014 finals in Belgium.
• Ukraine made the quarter-finals in Antwerp, but Azerbaijan and Belgium did not.
• Slovenia, who host the 2018 finals, began the 2014 tournament by defeating eventual champions Italy and got to the last eight.
• The Czech Republic are seeking an eighth straight qualification.
• Croatia hammered Slovakia 7-1 on aggregate in the 2014 play-offs.
• Turkey were surprise qualifiers in 2012 on only their third entry.
• Portugal progressed to a third semi-final in their last four entries in 2014.
• Romania were quarter-finalists in 2012 and 2014.