Union des Associations Européennes de Football

Referee appointed for UEFA Super Cup in Monaco

096 – Italy's Stefano Farina to officiate at FC Barcelona v Sevilla FC match

Published: Wednesday 23 August 2006, 15.10CET

Italian referee Stefano Farina has been appointed to handle the all-Spanish final of the UEFA Super Cup between FC Barcelona and Sevilla FC at the Stade Louis II in Monaco on Friday 25 August, kicking-off at 20.45 CET. Stefano Farina will be captaining an all-Italian team comprising Marco Ivaldi and Alessandro Griselli as Assistant Referees, along with Matteo Trefoloni, who will act as Fourth Official.

Stefano Farina doesn't face a long trip to Monaco, as he hails from the city of Ovada, some 60km inland on the road from Genoa to Alessandria. He was born in Ovada on 19 September 1962 and took up refereeing just before his 17th birthday. An insurance agent by profession, he is also a proficient tennis player and, on the more academic side, takes an interest in ancient history.

He made his debut in Italy's Serie B at the age of 31 and, barely four months later, made his Serie A debut by handling a match between US Foggia and AC Reggiana on 22 January 1995. He became an international referee in 2001 and has steadily gained experience in UEFA's top competitions. Last season, he handled three group matches in the UEFA Champions League and then, in the first knock-out round, the first leg between Real Madrid CF and the eventual finalists, Arsenal FC, at the Estadio Santiago Bernabéu. After that, his involvement was hampered by the presence of Italian clubs in the later phases of the competition.

Stefano Farina has crossed paths with Sevilla FC on one previous occasion – in the quarter-finals of their victorious 2005/06 UEFA Cup campaign. He was the referee when Juande Ramos's team drew 1-1 with FC Zenit in St. Petersburg. He has not refereed matches involving FC Barcelona but is no stranger to the Stade Louis II. He was the referee when AS Monaco FC beat AEK Athens 4-0 on 30 September 2003, when Ludovic Giuly scored the opening goal. He returned to the Principality when AS Monaco FC entertained Deportivo La Coruña – but not the match which registered the record-breaking 8-3 scoreline. He saw the hosts beat the Spanish visitors 2-0 on 28 September 2004. On that occasion, Javier Saviola scored the home team's second goal and Ernesto Chevantón returned from injury to play the last 12 minutes.

For further information

UEFA Media & Public Relations:+41 848 04 27 27

  • Route de Genève 46
  • CH-1260 Nyon 2
  • Tel. +41 848 04 27 27
  • Twitter @UEFA