UEFA Europa Conference League - 2021/22 SeasonMatch press kits
|Alashkert FC||Republican Stadium after Vazgen Sargsyan - YerevanThursday 21 October 2021|
18.45CET (20.45 local time) Group A - Matchday 3
Armenian champions Alashkert are without a point two matches into their first European group campaign as they host Austrian side LASK in UEFA Europa Conference League Group A.
• Alashkert have conceded eight goals in their opening two group matches – more than any other team in the competition – after losing to Maccabi Tel-Aviv (1-4 a) and HJK Helsinki (2-4 h), whereas LASK, who have scored the same number, are four points better off after beating HJK 2-0 away and drawing 1-1 at home to Maccabi.
• This is not only the clubs' first meeting in UEFA competition but also the first for either against a team from their opponents' country.
• Alashkert are making history this season as the first club from Armenia to appear in the group stage of a major European club competition. This is their seventh successive European campaign, none of the previous six having stretched even as far as the play-offs.
• Armenian champions for the fourth time in 2020/21, Alashkert began this European adventure in the UEFA Champions League first qualifying round, where they defeated Connah's Quay of Wales after extra time (2-2 a, 1-0 h). They exited at the hands of Moldovan champions Sheriff (0-1 h, 1-3 a) and crossed over to the UEFA Europa League, where they again required extra time to knock out Kazakhstan's Kairat Almaty (0-0 a, 3-2 h) but narrowly lost their play-off to Scottish champions Rangers (0-1 a, 0-0 h).
• Alashkert have played ten matches in Europe this season but have won none of them inside 90 minutes. With extra time included, however, their home record this term is W2 D1 L2.
• LASK's fourth successive season of UEFA competition has them competing as Austria's lone representatives in the group stage of the UEFA Europa Conference League. Fourth in the 2020/21 Bundesliga, they came unbeaten through two qualifying ties, beating Vojvodina of Serbia (1-0 a, 6-1 h) and Scotland's St Johnstone (1-1 h, 2-0 a).
• LASK have appeared in the UEFA Europa League group stage in each of the past two seasons, going on to reach the round of 16 as section winners in 2019/20 but finishing third behind Tottenham Hotspur and Antwerp in 2020/21.
• The team from the Danube city have won six of their last seven European away fixtures (L1), including all of the last four. Their group stage record on the road is W4 D1 L2.
Links and trivia
• José Embaló (four) and Aleksandar Glišić (three) have between them scored Alashkert's last seven European goals, whereas LASK's last seven have come from seven different players.
• Alashkert are one of eight clubs making their debut appearance in a UEFA group stage this season; the others – one in each group – are Flora Tallinn (Group B), Bodø/Glimt (C), Randers (D), Union Berlin (E), Lincoln Red Imps (F), Mura (G) and Kairat (H).