UEFA Europa League - 2020/21 SeasonMatch press kits
|PSV Eindhoven||PSV Stadion - EindhovenThursday 22 October 2020|
18.55CET (18.55 local time) Group E - Matchday 1
Granada's first match in the group stage of a European club competition brings them to Eindhoven, where the Spanish club face 1988 European champions and UEFA Europa League stalwarts PSV.
• This is Granada's first UEFA encounter with opponents from the Netherlands.
• PSV, by contrast, have met Spanish clubs 30 times previously. Those games have yielded just four wins for the Dutch side, three of those at home but none in their last five matches in Eindhoven (D2 L3). The last two Spanish visitors were both victorious, on each occasion in the UEFA Champions League group stage, Atlético de Madrid winning 1-0 on Matchday 1 in 2016/17 and Barcelona 2-1 on Matchday 5 in 2018/19.
• PSV's only home game against a Spanish club in the UEFA Europa League was a 1-1 draw versus Valencia in the 2011/12 round of 16, a result that eliminated them after a 4-2 first-leg loss in Spain.
• PSV finished fourth in the curtailed 2019/20 Dutch Eredivisie, earning a place in the UEFA Europa League third qualifying round. They won away to both Mura (5-1) and Rosenborg (2-0) to secure an eighth group stage berth.
• Last season, having been defeated by Basel on away goals in the UEFA Champions League second qualifying round (3-2 h, 1-2 a), PSV advanced into the UEFA Europa League group stage but went no further, eliminated after successive heavy away defeats at LASK (1-4) and Sporting CP (0-4). The 2010/11 quarter-finalists have now failed to progress from their group in four of the last five attempts.
• PSV's home record in the UEFA Europa League group stage is W10 D7 L4, though the four defeats have all come in the last ten matches, only three of which they have won.
• Granada earned a historic first qualification for European competition by finishing seventh in the 2019/20 Spanish Liga, having been promoted just the season before.
• They began this maiden campaign in the UEFA Europa League second qualifying round, opening their account with a 4-0 win at Albanian side Teuta before sealing further progress with a 2-0 home win against Locomotive Tbilisi of Georgia and a 3-1 play-off success against Malmö in southern Sweden.
• Diego Martínez's team have therefore won all three of their European matches, one at home and two away.
Links and trivia
• PSV boss Roger Schmidt was eliminated by Spanish clubs from all four of the European competitions in which he led Bayer Leverkusen during his spell in charge from 2014 to 2017 – by Atlético in the 2014/15 UEFA Champions League round of 16 (1-0 h, 0-1 a, 2-3 pens), Barcelona in the 2015/16 UEFA Champions League group stage (1-2 a, 1-1 h), Villarreal in the same season's UEFA Europa League round of 16 (0-2 a, 0-0 h) and Atlético again in the 2016/17 UEFA Champions League round of 16 (2-4 h, 0-0 a).
• PSV's Mauro Júnior and Granada's Kenedy have both represented Brazil at youth level.
• Granada striker Roberto Soldado scored a penalty in Valencia's 4-2 win against PSV in the 2011/12 UEFA Europa League round of 16.
• PSV are one of six former European Cup winners in this season's UEFA Europa League group stage, along with Benfica (Group D), Celtic and AC Milan (H), Feyenoord (K) and Crvena zvezda (L). They are also one of six former UEFA Cup winners – along with Leverkusen (Group C), Napoli (F), Tottenham (J), CSKA Moskva and Feyenoord (both K).
• The Spanish club are one of five UEFA Europa League group stage debutants this season alongside Leicester City (Group G), Sivasspor (I), Royal Antwerp (J) and Omonoia, who are also in Group E.