UEFA Europa League - 2020/21 SeasonMatch press kits
|Wolfsberger AC||Wörthersee Stadion - KlagenfurtThursday 22 October 2020|
21.00CET (21.00 local time) Group K - Matchday 1
|PFC CSKA Moskva|
Eliminated from last season's UEFA Europa League group stage, Wolfsberg and CSKA Moskva will both hope for better in 2020/21 as they get their European campaigns under way in Klagenfurt.
• Wolfsberg have never previously faced a Russian club in UEFA competition, while CSKA's only pairing with Austrian opposition ahead of this Group K opener was all of 39 years ago when they lost to Sturm Graz on away goals in the UEFA Cup first round (0-1 a, 2-1 h).
• Promoted to the Austrian top flight for the first time in 2012, Wolfsberg finished third in the 2019/20 Bundesliga, repeating their highest ever placing of a year earlier, to re-qualify for the UEFA Europa League for the second successive season. Last term they finished bottom of Group J with five points despite winning their Matchday 1 encounter 4-0 at Borussia Mönchengladbach.
• This is only the club's third European campaign. The first, in 2015/16, ended with a 6-0 aggregate defeat by Borussia Dortmund in the UEFA Europa League third qualifying round, though they had won their inaugural tie a round earlier, beating Shakhtyor Soligorsk 3-0 over two legs.
• Wolfsberg's overall European record is W3 D2 L5; at home it is W1 D1 L3 with no victories in the last four games.
• CSKA are back for a UEFA Europa League group stage encore having finished fourth in the Russian Premier League for the second year in a row under head coach Viktor Goncharenko. UEFA Champions League group stage participants for six straight years from 2013/14 to 2018/19, their 2019/20 UEFA Europa League campaign ended early as they finished bottom of their group, on five points, behind Espanyol, Ludogorets and Ferencváros.
• The 2004/05 UEFA Cup winners collected 16 points in their only other UEFA Europa League group stage adventure, in 2010/11, to top their section and progress to the round of 16, and in 2017/18, having finished third in their UEFA Champions League group, they made it to the UEFA Europa League quarter-finals, where they were knocked out by Arsenal.
• CSKA's away record in the UEFA Europa League group stage is W3 D2 L1, the only defeat coming on Matchday 1 last season when they went down 5-1 at Ludogorets. Their previous European away fixture had brought a consolation 3-0 win at holders Real Madrid on Matchday 6 of the 2018/19 UEFA Champions League.
Links and trivia
• Appointed by Wolfsberg in December 2019, this is Ferdinand Feldhofer's first European match as a coach.
• Wolfsberg's 36-year-old Serbian defender Nemanja Rnić played for Partizan against CSKA in the 2004/05 UEFA Cup fourth round first leg. The game finished 1-1, with the Moscow side winning the return 2-0 and going on to lift the trophy.
• CSKA are one of six former UEFA Cup winners competing in this season's UEFA Europa League group stage, together with Bayer Leverkusen (Group C), PSV Eindhoven (E), Napoli (F), Tottenham (J) and Group K rivals Feyenoord.