UEFA Europa League - 2020/21 SeasonMatch press kits
|CFR 1907 Cluj||Stadionul Dr. Constantin Rădulescu - Cluj-NapocaThursday 29 October 2020|
21.00CET (22.00 local time) Group A - Matchday 2
|BSC Young Boys|
The champions of Romania and Switzerland go head to head on Matchday 2 of UEFA Europa League Group A as CFR Cluj host Young Boys in Transylvania.
• CFR got their group campaign off to a fine start with a 2-0 win at CSKA-Sofia, second-half goals from Mário Rondón and Ciprian Deac (penalty) bringing them only a second away win in the UEFA Europa League proper. Young Boys, however, surrendered a lead provided by Jean-Pierre Nsame's early penalty to lose 2-1 at home to Roma – their first ever defeat by Italian opposition in Berne.
• CFR have won their two previous home games against Swiss opposition, both versus Basel in the UEFA Champions League – 2-1 in their opening fixture of the 2010/11 group stage and 1-0 (after a 2-1 away win) in the 2012/13 play-offs.
• Young Boys' lone previous trip to Romania was a 6-0 defeat by Steaua Bucureşti in the 1979/80 European Cup Winners' Cup first round second leg. The first leg in Berne – the inaugural meeting of clubs from Romania and Switzerland in UEFA competition – had finished 2-2.
• CFR completed a hat-trick of Romanian league titles in 2019/20, making it six in all, while also enjoying a club-record 16-match European campaign that began in the UEFA Champions League first qualifying round and ended in the UEFA Europa League round of 32, where they provided stiff opposition for Sevilla, going out to the eventual winners only on the away goals rule (1-1 h, 0-0 a).
• Having lost seven of their first eight fixtures in the UEFA Europa League proper, in 2009/10 and 2012/13, CFR recorded 12 points to finish runners-up in their group last season, below Celtic but above both Lazio and Rennes. Ousted from this season's UEFA Champions League on penalties by Dinamo Zagreb in the second qualifying round, they subsequently beat the champions of Sweden (Djurgården 1-0 away) and Finland (KuPS 3-1 at home) to reach the UEFA Europa League group stage for the third time.
• Penalty shoot-outs notwithstanding, CFR are unbeaten in their last six European home games (W4 D2) and won all three in last season's UEFA Europa League group stage, against Lazio (2-1), Rennes (1-0) and Celtic (2-0).
• Champions of Switzerland for the third season running in 2019/20, and the 14th time in all, Young Boys lost their UEFA Champions League play-off on away goals to Crvena zvezda but reached the UEFA Europa League group stage, where they finished third in a section containing Porto, Rangers and Feyenoord despite scoring in every game.
• YB missed out on UEFA Champions League qualification again this season, Gerardo Seoane's side losing 3-0 at Midtjylland in the third qualifying round after winning their opening tie 3-1 at home to KÍ Klaksvík. However, they beat Tirana 3-0 at the Stadion Wankdorf in the UEFA Europa League play-offs and are therefore competing for a Swiss-record seventh time in the competition's group stage, from which they have made further progress twice before, in 2010/11 and 2014/15, but not in their three most recent campaigns.
• The Berne club have won just one of their last 22 European away games – 2-1 against Dinamo Zagreb in the second leg of the 2018/19 UEFA Champions League play-offs – and their record on the road in the UEFA Europa League proper is W2 D7 L11, their last such win having come on Matchday 5 of the 2014/15 campaign when they overcame Slovan Bratislava 3-1 in the Slovakian capital. Their record since then is D6 L4.
Links and trivia
• CFR midfielder Alexandru Chipciu has played twice for Romania against Switzerland – firstly as a substitute in a 1-0 friendly win in Lucerne on 30 May 2012, secondly at UEFA EURO 2016. The teams drew 1-1 in Paris, another CFR player, Ovidiu Hoban, coming on at half-time.
• Deac's next appearance in UEFA club competition will be his 50th.
• As a player for the Romanian national team CFR coach Dan Petrescu never appeared in a winning side against Switzerland in three attempts (D1 L2), most notably losing 4-1 in Detroit at the 1994 FIFA World Cup.
• Although the clubs have never previously met in a competitive encounter, they did face each other in a friendly in Marbella on 25 January 2013, drawing 1-1.