UEFA Europa League - 2021/22 SeasonMatch press kits
|PSV Eindhoven||Phillips Stadium - EindhovenThursday 21 October 2021|
21.00CET (21.00 local time) Group B - Matchday 3
|AS Monaco FC|
The top two teams in UEFA Europa League Group B meet on Matchday 3 as PSV Eindhoven and Monaco both seek to add to the four points that they have collected from their first two fixtures.
• While PSV won 4-1 at Sturm Graz last time out to add to an opening 2-2 draw in Eindhoven against Real Sociedad, Monaco beat the Austrian side 1-0 on Matchday 1 before also sharing the points with the Spanish side, holding them 1-1 in San Sebastián.
• Monaco got the better of PSV when the clubs were first drawn together, in the 2003/04 UEFA Champions League, winning 2-1 in Eindhoven and drawing 1-1 at home in the group stage of a campaign in which they would go on to reach the final. However, in the round of 16 of the following season's competition PSV prevailed, winning both matches (1-0 h, 2-0 a) and eventually reaching the semi-finals.
• The Dutch side's home record against French visitors is W6 D6 L3 with victories in the last two matches, the most recent of them in the 2010/11 UEFA Europa League round of 32 when they beat LOSC Lille 3-1 to complete a 5-3 aggregate victory.
• Monaco have won three of their five UEFA games in the Netherlands (D1 L1), including the most recent, 3-1 at Willem II in the first round second leg of the 2005/06 UEFA Cup (aggregate 5-1).
• PSV were runners-up to Ajax in the 2020/21 Eredivisie, finishing 16 points behind the Amsterdam club. Roger Schmidt's team coasted through two UEFA Champions League qualifying rounds this season, eliminating Galatasaray (5-1 h, 2-1 a) and Midtjylland (3-0 h, 1-0 a), but came unstuck in the play-offs against Benfica (1-2 a, 0-0 h).
• The Eindhoven club are therefore competing in the UEFA Europa League group stage for a record-equalling ninth season. They won their group for the fourth time last term, finishing ahead of Granada, PAOK and Omonoia with 12 points to make it five qualifications out of eight. Their best performance came in 2010/11, when they reached the quarter-finals.
• PSV's home record in the UEFA Europa League group stage is W12 D8 L5, though the five defeats have all come in the last 14 matches. They are unbeaten in their last seven European encounters in Eindhoven, the draws with Benfica and Real Sociedad following five successive wins.
• Third in Ligue 1 in 2020/21, five points behind champions LOSC Lille, Monaco are back in Europe after a two-season absence.
• The team from the Principality had a tenth appearance in the UEFA Champions League group stage in their sights this term, but after overcoming Sparta Praha convincingly in the third qualifying round (2-0 a, 3-1 h), Niko Kovač's side were edged out in the play-offs by Shakhtar Donetsk (0-1 h, 2-2 a aet) and are therefore competing in the UEFA Europa League stage for only the second time, after 2015/16. Then, Leonardo Jardim's side finished third in a group containing Tottenham, Anderlecht and Qarabağ.
• UEFA Champions League semi-finalists under Jardim in 2016/17, Monaco have failed to win any of their last eight away group fixtures in that competition (D4 L4) and registered no victories on the road either in the 2015/16 UEFA Europa League (D2 L1). They are, however, unbeaten on their European travels this term (W1 D2).
Links and trivia
• Dutch striker Myron Boadu joined Monaco in the summer from AZ Alkmaar. He scored twice in AZ's 4-0 Eredivisie win at PSV on 27 October 2019.
• PSV striker Carlos Vinícius spent the second half of 2018/19 on loan at Monaco, scoring two goals in 16 Ligue 1 games.
• PSV's French defender Olivier Boscagli joined the club in 2019 from Monaco's local rivals Nice, for whom he made 27 league appearances. Ibrahim Sangaré also played in France, representing Toulouse from 2016 to 2020 and scoring in a 3-3 draw against Monaco on 24 February 2018.
• Schmidt and Kovač faced each other as the respective coaches of Bayer Leverkusen and Eintracht Frankfurt three times in the German Bundesliga, Schmidt's side winning both home games 3-0 but losing the match in Frankfurt 2-1.
• Monaco's German international striker Kevin Volland was signed by Schmidt for Leverkusen, playing under him in 2016/17 and scoring in one of those 3-0 wins against Frankfurt.
• PSV's six goals in their opening two Group B matches – the joint second highest total across all groups, behind only the seven managed by Real Betis in Group G – were all scored by different players.
• While there are no former UEFA Europa League winners in this season's group stage, PSV are one of five clubs involved that have lifted the trophy in its former guise as the UEFA Cup; Napoli (Group C), Frankfurt (D), Galatasaray (E) and Leverkusen (G) are the others.
• PSV are also one of four former European Cup/UEFA Champions League winners in the field – together with Marseille (Group E), Crvena zvezda (F) and Celtic (G).
• The Dutch club's ninth appearance in the UEFA Europa League group stage is a competition record they share with Lazio and Rapid Wien.