UEFA.com works better on other browsers
For the best possible experience, we recommend using Chrome, Firefox or Microsoft Edge.

Hungary round-up: MTK go down again

MTK Hungária's NB I lead slipped again as they lost 1-0 against Ferencvárosi TC.

MTK Hungária's situation at the top of the NB I became more precarious as they lost 1-0 against Ferencvárosi TC today.

Ferencváros win
The league leaders' form deserted them again at home with Péter Horváth scoring the only goal of the game for Ferencváros after eleven minutes. The striker, who has recently returned from injury, finished a swift move up the right flank with a powerful strike from five metres out to hand MTK a defeat in the last game before the Hungarian top flight splits into its championship and relegation groups.

'Our sun will shine'
However, MTK coach Sándor Popovics has moved to reassure supporters that his side's poor run will not continue. "We have five matches in the play-offs to show that we can play better," he explained. "Our sun will shine after these rainy days."

Zalaegerszeg held
Zalaegerszegi TE are now within three points of the leaders after twice coming from behind to draw 2-2 at home against Haladás VSC. Haladás' Brazilian player Leandro scored from András Kaj's cross after 34 minutes, but Péter Bozsik's side equalised just after the break through Róbert Waltner. Alex put Haladás ahead again in the 52nd minute but Waltner's pass allowed Hungarian International Krisztián Kenesei to level again eight minutes from time.

More worry for Vasas
Vasas SC edged closer to relegation with their first defeat in three games under new coach Barnabás Tornyi at Györi ETO. Ukrainian striker Igor Nickenko opened the scoring for the home side after 61 minutes, finishing from close range after a fine through-ball from substitute Márton Oross, and Nickenko was on target again three minutes later thanks to another fine pass from Károly Szanyó. Norbert Tóth pulled a goal back for the visitors but the score remained 2-1 to Györ.

Videoton triumph
In today's other games, Debreceni VSC and Sopron played out a goalless draw at the Oláh Gábor stadium, while Újpesti TE twice let the lead slip to lose 3-2 at home against Videoton FCF. Robert Vagner and Tibor Tokody both gave the home side the lead only to be pegged back by two goals from Brazilian striker Sorato.  Tamás Szalai's header from a free-kick gave Videoton victory with ten minutes to go.