UEFA.com works better on other browsers
For the best possible experience, we recommend using Chrome, Firefox or Microsoft Edge.

Hungary round-up: MTK extend lead

MTK Hungária FC took advantage of Zalaegerszegi TE's draw to extend their lead at the summit.

MTK Hungária FC extended their NB. 1 lead to seven points following today's narrow 1-0 defeat of MFC Sopron, while second-placed Zalaegerszegi TE were held 1-1 at home by improving Újpesti TE.

Ferencváros close the gap
With MTK's position strengthened, Zalaegerszeg draw could open the door for a late Ferencvárosi TE charge after they hammered five past hapless Haladás VFC to reduce the gap to the second placed-club to two points. Right-sided midfield player Attila Kriston put Ferencváros on course for their third successive victory when he scored from ten metres in the tenth minute.

Captain on target
Fradi added a second through Zoltán Gera from 12 metres in the 55th minute. Captain Péter Lipcsei made it three two minutes later before Adem Kapic scored his first goal for the Üllói út outfit in the 70th minute. Slovakian international Marek Penksa completed the rout with a fine header eight minutes from time.

Zavadszky scores winner
Although MTK have struggled recently, the champions-elect managed to record a priceless victory over Sopron at the Nándor Hidegkuti stadium with Gábor Zavadszky scoring the only goal for György Bodnár's side after five minutes. The league leaders created many further scoring chances throughout the match, with Serbian striker Sasa Branezac coming closest late in the game with an effort that clipped the crossbar.

Zalaegerszeg held
Újpest surprised Zalaegerszeg in the second minute when young Hungarian international forward Tibor Tokody fired home from four meters in only the third minute. The visitors managed to frustrate Zalaegerszeg for long spells as they operated with a counterattacking style to avoid Péter Bozsik's side's willingness to attack at every opportunity. However, Zalaegerszeg managed to level on the hour through Balázs Molnár when he fired high past Zsolt Posza from 18 metres, but they were unable to beat the Újpest keeper again as the side from the capital held on.

Tököli hat-trick
Elsewhere, Attila Tököli, the league's top scorer, scored three times as Dunaferr SE beat Vasas SC 4-2, whose plight at the bottom of the table worsens with every match. The midfield playmakers of Györi ETO and Videoton FCF both scored as the teams shared two goals. Hungarian international Zsolt Dvéri scored shortly after the interval for Videoton, only for Károly Szanyó to level in the 55th minute.

Kispest hold on
Debreceni VSC and Kispest Honvéd FC shared a goalless draw at the Oláh Gábor útcai stadium, the venue where Hungary will host Belarus in an international friendly match next week to celebrate Debrecen's centenary. Lajos Détári's team were left to settle for a share of the spoils after Norbert Németh was dismissed after 65 minutes for a second yellow card.