Wales round-up: Late goal saves Llansantffraid

Leaders TNS Llansantffraid FC needed a late equaliser to salvage a 1-1 draw at Port Talbot Town FC.

A late goal from Chris Taylor earned TNS Llansantffraid FC a 1-1 draw at Port Talbot Town FC that enabled his side to extend their lead at the top of the League of Wales to four points.

Setback for Llansantffraid
With nearest challengers Barry Town FC playing in the Welsh Cup, Llansantffraid had the chance to move six points clear at the head of the table, but the home side began positively and deservedly took the lead shortly before half-time through Craig Lima.

Late drama
Port Talbot held on to their slender advantage throughout the second half and looked like gaining all three points, only for Taylor to equalise in stoppage time at the end of the game, scoring from a corner.

European challenge
Meanwhile, Connah's Quay Nomads FC kept their hopes of securing a European spot alive as they recovered from a goal down to win 2-1 at home to Rhyl FC.  The away side took the lead after 14 minutes when Gareth Wilson scored from a Lee Atherton cross. However, the match turned when Rhyl defender Mark Powell was sent off for a foul on Stuart Rain in the penalty area.

Quick change of fortunes
Striker Tommy Mutton successfully converted the resulting penalty and Connah’s Quay were in front before half-time as Andy Griffiths made it 2-1 to turn the match on its head.

Evans prolific
Graham Evans scored his 21st goal of the season to put Caersws FC in front at Caernarfon Town FC, with an own goal from Paul Roberts completing a 2-1 victory for the away side.
Relegation struggle
Struggling Haverfordwest County AFC’s hopes of avoiding relegation received a significant boost thanks to a crucial 1-0 win at Flexys Cefn Druids AFC. Rhys Griffiths scored the crucial goal.

Holders through
In the cup quarter-finals, holders Barry secured a 3-2 win at Aberystwyth Town FC. Two goals in the last six minutes from Tom Ramasut and Jon French secured the win and a place in the semi-finals for Barry.

Cup upsets
Meanwhile, Welsh League side Ton Pentre AFC also progressed with a resounding 3-0 win against top-flight Oswestry Town FC thanks to goals in the opening 20 minutes from Andy Hughes, Mike Jones and Ceri Harding. Bangor City FC were also victims of an upset as they were knocked out on penalties by Cwmbran Town after the game had finished 0-0 after extra time.