Wales round-up: Llansantffraid break away

TNS Llansantffraid FC opened up a three-point lead at the top of the League of Wales on Saturday.

TNS Llansantffraid FC opened up a three-point lead at the top of the League of Wales as they beat fellow high-flyers Port Talbot Town FC 1-0 at Treflan on Saturday.

Great expectations
The unbeaten home side, watched by a crowd with huge hopes, carved out the better chances, but only had Scott Ruscoe’s 26th-minute winning strike to show for their efforts.

Bleak encounter
Meanwhile reigning champions Barry Town AFC were held 2-2 at Carmarthen Town AFC at Richmond Park. But it was the west Wales hosts who dealt with the torrid, rain-soaked conditions more effectively. Kenny Brown’s Barry had a tough time – especially when they were reduced to ten men for almost an hour after former Cardiff City FC defender Lee Jarman was sent off for a deliberate handball.

Late twist
Carmarthen had gone ahead with a penalty after just 14 minutes – Wyn Thomas making no mistake from the spot. But the visitors came storming back as a double from Lawrence Davies before the break put them in charge. But a late twist in a see-saw encounter came when Carmarthen grabbed a share of the spoils as Steve Mardenbrough rifled a superb shot into the net.

Fears eased
Caersws FC eased their relegation fears with a crucial 2-1 home win over Caernarfon Twon FC thanks to Graham Evans, who scored a goal either side of the interval. Danny Barton pulled a goal back for the visitors near the end. But the biggest shock of a day came at Farrar Road when struggling Newtown AFC beat Bangor City FC 2-1. Newtown had been under pressure for most of the game, but Chris Adamson became the unlikely hero, sweeping in the winner 11 minutes from time.

Davies delight
Flexsys Cefn Druids AFC chalked up their third victory of the campaign with an outstanding 4-2 victory at Haverfordwest County AFC. Mike Davies opened the scoring for the Wrexham-based outfit and although Rhys Griffiths restored parity, strikes from James Pearce, Dan Watkins and Aled Rowlands put Flexsys in charge before Dylan Blain's late consolation.