UEFA.com works better on other browsers
For the best possible experience, we recommend using Chrome, Firefox or Microsoft Edge.

Hungary round-up: Sopron win for Simon

MFC Sopron defeated Újpesti TE 3-1 less than 24 hours after the death of coach Tibor Simon.

MFC Sopron may be a club in mourning after the death of their coach, Tibor Simon, but their players put their personal feelings to one side as they defeated Újpest 3-1.

Minute's silence
Simon's death last night from head injuries sustained in an attack outside a Budapest nightclub on Sunday has shocked the whole of Hungarian football and a minute's silence preceded all of today's matches. While Sopron's players overcame the emotion of the occasion to defeat Újpest, Ferencvárosi TC dedicated their victory over Györi ETO FC to Simon, who spent 13 years at the club as a player.

Tóth scores two
Sopron went ahead through a goal from Mihály Tóth six minutes into the home match against Újpest. On 20 minutes captain József Somogyi doubled their lead, converting a  penalty after a foul on Tamás Nagy. Tóth made it three with his second of the night nine minutes later, rendering irrelevant the 51st-minute reply from Újpest midfield player Tamás Móri.

Simon remembered
The stadium announcer at Ferencváros's Ülloi úti stadium cried out "Goal, Simon Tibor" after Serb striker Aleksandr Jovic's 16th-minute opener against Gyor. Jovic scored his and Ferencváros's second in the 58th, before captain Péter Lipcsei, from the penalty spot, and substitute Attila Szili, in added time, completed a 4-0 win. At the final whistle the crowed chanted the name of Simon, the club's former right-back.

Zalaegersz close the gap
At the top of the table, Zalaegerszegi TE won 2-1 at Dunaferr SE to close the gap on leaders MTK Hungária FC. Dunaferr took the lead in the eleventh minute, Iván Balaskó scoring from close range. Zalaegerszeg equalised eight minutes later when Balázs Molnár finished after a fine Krisztián Kenesei through-ball. Ferenc Róth powered home the winner for Péter Bozsik's side from ten metres.

Kispest win
Lajos Détári's Kispest Honvéd FC won 2-1 at Videoton FCF thanks to an added-time goal from Florin Batrinu. Another Romanian, striker Marius Sasu, had put the visitors in front in the 29th minute but Lajos Terjék equalised for Videoton 12 minutes from time. In today's other match, Vasas SC beat Debreceni VSC 1-0 through a Zoltán Váczi goal on 73 minutes.