UEFA.com works better on other browsers
For the best possible experience, we recommend using Chrome, Firefox or Microsoft Edge.

Hungary round-up: Videoton spoil champions' party

Newly-crowned NB I champions Zalaegerszegi TE lost 2–1 at home against Videoton FCF.

Newly-crowned NB I champions Zalaegerszegi TE lost 2–1 at home against Videoton FCF today.

Magnanimous gesture
On the last day of the season, Videoton generously agreed to play the game at their opponents ZTE stadium even though it was scheduled to be played at their stadium in Szekesfehervar. They were rewarded for their magnanimity with a win against the odds against Zalaegerszeg.

Zalaegerszeg level
ZTE dominated the match but Videoton scored first. In the 23rd minute, midfield player Zsolt Dvéri headed a goal from eleven metres from a precise right-wing cross. In the 37th minute Zalaegerszeg equalised through captain Gergely Kocsárdi, who battled for a ball and beat Videoton goalkeeper Zoltán Végh from 17 meters.

Daniel on target
Végh had an excellent game and kept Zalaegerszeg at bay and they were able to capitalise on his good form nine minutes into the second half when Brazilian Sorato fed his countryman Daniel who scored his first goal in the Hungarian first division from six metres.

Bozsik’s delight
However, at the final whistle it was Zalaegerszeg’s turn to do the celebrating as coach Péter Bozsik – the son of 101-times-capped Hungarian legend József Bozsik – was presented with the NB I trophy to the delight of 15,000 spectators.

Ferencváros finale
József Garami’s Ferencvárosi TC had reason to celebrate too as they finished the season in second place after a 2-0 win at home against Dunaferr SE. Attila Dragóner opened the scoring with a 64th minute free-kick and fellow defender Marius Cheregi headed a second with five minutes to go to give Ferencváros a place in the UEFA Cup next season.

MTK thwarted
Ferencváros’s joy meant abject misery for MTK Hungária who finished third after losing 2–1 at home against Újpesti TE. In the 33rd minute young forward Tibor Tokody scored from the penalty spot for Újpest and in the 73rd minute defender Zoltán Szélesi played to Tamás Móri who scored. In the final minute MTK’s captain Béla Illés scored his 18th goal of the season from four metres but it was scant consolation for Sándor Popovic’s side.