The official website for European football

Belgium round-up: Top two win again

Published: Sunday 10 February 2002, 0.20CET
Leaders Club Brugge KV and second-placed RSC Anderlecht were both victorious on Saturday.
Published: Sunday 10 February 2002, 0.20CET

Belgium round-up: Top two win again

Leaders Club Brugge KV and second-placed RSC Anderlecht were both victorious on Saturday.

Belgian first division leaders Club Brugge KV kept up the pressure at the top of the table with a 2-1 victory at RAA Louviéroise on Saturday, and it was just as well as RSC Anderlecht romped to a 7-1 win at home to K. Lierse SK.

Off the pace
Third-placed KRC Genk slipped off the pace after sharing eight goals at home to KFC Germinal Beerschot Antwerpen. The visitors opened the scoring after five minutes, Aleksander Mutavdzic heading the ball past Jan Moons in the Genk goal before Paul Kpaka made it 2-0 three minutes later.

Sonck goals
Wesley Sonck reacted first after a Josip Skoko shot rebounded off a post to halve the deficit and the goalscorer set up Moumouni Dagano for the equaliser. Bernd Thijs added a third with a well-taken free-kick nine minutes before the break and Genk were looking good for the points. Germinal still looked shellshocked and found themselves even further behind four minutes after the break when Sonck volleyed home.

Bounced back
The visitors bounced back almost immediately, however, Moons dropping the ball against Kristof Snelders before it rolled over the line. Kpaka grabbed his second goal of the night with seven minutes remaining to conclude a remarkable match.

No problems for Brugge
Brugge had no such problems with a goal either side of half-time from Rune Lange and Josip Simic giving them a 2-0 cushion. Luciano Jim pulled a goal back with 20 minutes remaining but the Jan Breydelstadion outfit held firm.

Rout completed
Anderlecht were two-up at half-time against Lierse but there was no sign of the deluge that would follow. Gilles de Bilde did the damage and went on to grab a third in the 62nd minute. Lierse had pulled a goal back five minutes into the second half through Werry Sels but Aruna Dindane cancelled that out eight minutes later. Alin Stoica scored from the penalty spot after Dindane had been felled in the 75th minute and then scored his second of the game four minutes later. Dindane himself completed the rout eight minutes from time.

Four goals shared
KSK Beveren and KAA Gent shared four goals in the second half of their 2-2 draw. Alexandros Kaklamanos opened the scoring after 52 minutes and needed a second two minutes into added time to snatch a share of the spoils. In between, Venance Zezeto and Tomas Danilevicius had put Beveren ahead. Arnar Gretarsson held his nerve to score from the penalty spot in the final minute as Sporting Lokeren St-Niklaas Waaslan beat KFC Lommelse SK 1-0. In the day's remaining game, two goals from Patrick Goots gave R. Antwerp FC a 2-0 win at home to KSC Eendracht Aalst.

Last updated: 16/11/12 2.42CET

Related information

Team profiles