The official website for European football

Portugal round-up: Boavista keep pace

Published: Saturday 23 February 2002, 21.32CET
Boavista FC beat SC Farense to go just one point behind leaders Sporting Clube de Portugal.
Published: Saturday 23 February 2002, 21.32CET

Portugal round-up: Boavista keep pace

Boavista FC beat SC Farense to go just one point behind leaders Sporting Clube de Portugal.

Boavista FC narrowed the gap on Portuguese 1. Liga leaders Sporting Clube de Portugal to one point with a 2-1 away victory against SC Farense.

Hosts take the lead
The hosts took the lead after 43 minutes when Boavista midfielder Bosingwa tripped Farense winger Paulo Ferreira in the penalty area and captain Carlos Costa dispatched the spot kick. With 19 minutes of the game remaining Boavista drew level with a penalty of their own when Farense midfield player Luís Cavaco fouled Brazillian striker Elpídeo Silva in the area.

Lima winner
Cavaco received his second yellow card of the match for the offence and was dismissed while Bolivian international Erwin Sánchez scored from the spot to level the scores. Six minutes later Boavista scored the winner. Brazilian winger Duda crossed from the right and forward Rui Lima scored with a fierce shot.

Porto crash
In the day's other game, FC Porto had two men sent off as they lost 3-2 against SC Beira-Mar to leave them eight points behind leaders Sporting. Portuguese defender Jorge Andrade and Brazilian midfield player Deco received their marching orders in the 28th and 75th minutes respectively as new coach José Mourinho lost his first match since taking over last month.

Professional foul
Andrade was dismissed for a professional foul on Bruno Ribeiro and Brazilian defender Cristiano gave the visitors the lead from the resulting free-kick. Deco followed his team-mate off the pitch after he argued with the referee and was handed his second yellow card. Despite having only nine men Porto battled well and South African striker Benni McCarthy broke the offside trap and pulled the hosts level with a neat finish.

Final twist
The visitors were ahead again in the 58th minute through Senegalese forward Fary Faye. Porto looked to have secured a point when Carlos Paredes equalised with only eight minutes remaining. There was a final twist in the match though when Faye provided Beira with a winning goal in the 86th minute.

Last updated: 16/11/12 4.10CET

Related information

Member associations
Team profiles