Portugal round-up: Porto push for European place

FC Porto continued their push for a record eighth appearance in the UEFA Champions League on Sunday.

FC Porto strengthened their push for a record eighth appearance in the UEFA Champions League with their second 1.Liga win in eight days.

Deco decides it
José Mourinho’s side are now sat above UD Leiria thanks to a solitary Deco penalty. The spot-kick was tucked home with just ten minutes left in their game at basement club Varzim SC after Antonio Mendonca was punished for pulling Cândido Alves to ground.

Benfica keep in touch
SL Benfica kept pace with the leading clubs thanks to a comfortable home win over ten-man SC Beira Mar, but not before going a goal behind.

Petrolina ignites Beira
The visitors scorched into a seventh-minute lead when Juninho Petrolina found the net, but goals either side of the half-time interval from Simão Sabrosa and Edgaras Jankauskas put Benfica into the lead.

Gamboa sees red
Jankauskas added his second nine minutes from time and once Jorge Gamboa was dismissed for a second yellow card on 84 minutes there was no coming back for Beira. Pedro Mantorras added the home side’s fourth in injury time.

Crucial victory
At the other end of the table a goal from Brazilian midfield player Ico after just two minutes helped Vitória Setúbal to a crucial 2-0 victory away at SC Salgueiros. Ico’s compatriot Jorginho hit the second for the visitors 15 minutes from time to ensure his side moved level on points with the Porto-based club.

Santa Clara leave it late
Elsewhere, fellow strugglers SC Farense looked to be heading for a point at mid-table CD Santa Clara until Glaedson found the net for the home side on 73 minutes. As tempers boiled over, Farense midfield player Sabugo and Santa Clara goalscorer Glaedson were both sent off before Gabor doubled the Ponta Delgada club’s advantage in stoppage time.

First win this year
CF Os Belenses leapfrogged opponents CS Marítimo with a 2-0 victory in Lisbon. Goals from Verona on 39 minutes and Djalmir Vieira ten minutes from time gave the visitors their first win since December.

Pedrinha penalty
Two first-half goals gave FC Paços de Ferreira a 2-0 victory over Gil Vicente FC at the Da Mata Real stadium. Pedro Pedrinha’s penalty midway through the first half opened the scoring, and Carlos Carneiro doubled the lead five minutes before the break.