The official website for European football

Barthez banned for spitting at ref

Published: Friday 22 April 2005, 12.18CET
Olympique de Marseille goalkeeper Fabien Barthez has been suspended for six months for spitting at a referee.

UEFA.com features

UEFA President praises Italy's love of football
  • UEFA President praises Italy's love of football
  • Increased UEFA Nations League solidarity and bonus fees
  • Be part of the #FootballPeople action weeks
  • 2018 UEFA Grassroots Awards winners
  • Financial Fair Play flourishing - UEFA workshop
  • VAR to be introduced in 2019/20 UEFA Champions League
  • Europe's World Cup success highlighted at FIFA summit
  • Famous faces back new Together #WePlayStrong TV campaign
  • UEFA Grassroots Award for FC Sækó
  • HJK awarded grassroots gold
1 of 10
Published: Friday 22 April 2005, 12.18CET

Barthez banned for spitting at ref

Olympique de Marseille goalkeeper Fabien Barthez has been suspended for six months for spitting at a referee.
France and Olympique de Marseille goalkeeper Fabien Barthez has been suspended for six months by the disciplinary committee of the French Football Federation (FFF) for spitting at a referee in a friendly game earlier this year.

Three months to serve
The ban was awarded by the FFF's central disciplinary committee following a personal hearing on Thursday evening. However, Barthez will serve only three months of the sanction, with the other three months suspended subject to good behaviour.

Match abandoned
It relates to events at Marseille's match against WAC Casablanca in Morocco on 12 February which was called off after 80 minutes because of the violent conduct of the teams. The referee's report filed by match official Abdellah el-Achiri, and backed up by television images, said that Barthez spat at and insulted the referee.

Final appearance
Barthez will be suspended from 25 April until 25 July, meaning his last appearance of the season will be in Saturday's away game against FC Nantes Atlantique. Marseille lie third in Ligue 1, in a UEFA Champions League qualifying place. The 33-year-old's enforced absence will not affect France's FIFA World Cup qualification campaign, however, with Les Bleus not in action again until September.

'Get ready for next season'
The goalkeeper said: "I will carry on working as I have done since the age of 18. I will prepare to be ready to play for Olympique de Marseille and the national team next season, because I aim to go to the [2006 FIFA] World Cup and want France to be there." Barthez had said in an interview on 24 March that he did not regret his behaviour, but recently retracted that statement.

Appeal lodged
On Friday evening, however, the FFF announced in statement that it had decided to appeal because its federal council disagreed with the sanction decided by the ruling body's disciplinary committee. Under FFF rules, the offence committed by Barthez should be punished by a firm ban of at least six months, the statement said.

Last updated: 22/04/05 20.22CET

Related information

Member associations
Team profiles

http://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/news/newsid=297455.html#barthez+banned+spitting