The official website for European football

Köln land Szabics coup

Published: Thursday 9 June 2005, 23.00CET
News round-up: Bundesliga newcomers 1. FC Köln have signed Hungarian striker Imre Szabics from VfB Stuttgart.

UEFA.com features

UEFA President praises Italy's love of football
  • UEFA President praises Italy's love of football
  • Increased UEFA Nations League solidarity and bonus fees
  • Be part of the #FootballPeople action weeks
  • 2018 UEFA Grassroots Awards winners
  • Financial Fair Play flourishing - UEFA workshop
  • VAR to be introduced in 2019/20 UEFA Champions League
  • Europe's World Cup success highlighted at FIFA summit
  • Famous faces back new Together #WePlayStrong TV campaign
  • UEFA Grassroots Award for FC Sækó
  • HJK awarded grassroots gold
1 of 10
Published: Thursday 9 June 2005, 23.00CET

Köln land Szabics coup

News round-up: Bundesliga newcomers 1. FC Köln have signed Hungarian striker Imre Szabics from VfB Stuttgart.
Unsettled Hungarian striker Imre Szabics has joined 1. FC Köln from VfB Stuttgart for an undisclosed fee. The 24-year-old, a peripheral figure at the Gottlieb-Daimler-Stadion last term, has signed a two-year deal with the Bundesliga returnees as he seeks first-team football. "Imre wasn't pleased with his situation here," Stuttgart sporting manager Herbert Briem said. "He wants to play regularly and believes he's got a better chance with Köln. We respect his decision and wish him all the best."

FC Barcelona centre-back Carles Puyol faces a six-week lay-off after scans showed he fractured his right ankle in Spain's 1-1 FIFA World Cup qualifying draw with Bosnia-Herzegovina last night. The 27-year-old was forced off after just eight minutes and further examinations revealed a hairline fracture which rules him out of Barça's pre-season tour of Japan.

Elsewhere in Spain, RCD Mallorca have elected Vicenç Grande as their new chairman following the recent exit of Mateu Alemany. The former club vice-president is also the majority shareholder at the Son Moix, holding a 51 per cent stake in the team that narrowly avoided relegation last season. "I promise hard work, humility and devotion to this club," Grande said.

Brazilian midfielder Douglas Silva has joined Portuguese SuperLiga side CD Nacional from Grêmio FPA in a deal that sees Marcelo Pereira travel in the other direction. The 25-year-old has agreed a one-year loan switch.

CF Os Belenenses have signed Brazilian attacking midfielder Fábio Januário. The 25-year-old moves from SuperLiga rivals Gil Vicente FC where he had been on the first-team fringes since 2003. His arrival comes 48 hours after Cameroonian striker Albert Meyong joined from Vitória FC.

Swiss international Stéphane Henchoz will leave UEFA Champions League qualifiers Celtic FC, according to his agent. The 30-year-old has failed to make an impact at Celtic Park after leaving Liverpool FC on a short-term deal in January and is now seeking new employers. His agent Jorg Vonmatt said: "Things haven't worked out for one reason or another and he will definitely be leaving Scotland."

Aston Villa FC striker Luke Moore has inked a new three-year deal with the English Premiership outfit. The 19-year-old's contract was due to expire on 1 July but after lengthy negotiations the former English Under-19 international has committed to Villa Park. Moore made 25 appearances last term, mostly from the substitutes' bench, opening his goalscoring account against Middlesbrough FC in March.

Also in England, Fulham FC have completed a deal to bring Czech goalkeeper Jaroslav Drobný to London from Greek club Panionios NFC. The 25-year-old had signed a pre-contract with Fulham in January, although full details of the transfer remain undisclosed.

Markus Dworrak will play no part in 1. FSV Mainz 05's first-ever UEFA Cup campaign next season after securing a switch to 2. Bundesliga team FC Energie Cottbus. The 27-year-old, who spent the end of last season on loan at FC Rot-Weiss Erfurt, has committed to two years at Cottbus.

Enrico Gaede, who finished the season with SC Rot-Weiss Essen, has signed a two-year deal with FC Hansa Rostock. The 23-year-old midfielder moves from Hansa's Bundesliga rivals VfL Borussia Mönchengladbach.

Polish champions Wisla Kraków moved a step closer to a second domestic double in three seasons after defeating Zaglebie Lubin 1-0 in their Polish Cup semi-final first leg. Polish Under-21 international striker Pawel Brozek scored the only goal on six minutes. The victors will face the winners of the other semi-final between Legia Warszawa and Groclin Grodzisk Wielkopolski, which remains finely balanced after a 1-1 draw.

Meanwhile, Groclin coach Dusan Radolsky has signed up for another season at the club after leading Groclin to a second-place finish in the Ekstraklasa. The 54-year-old Slovakian replaced Boguslaw Kaczmarek at the helm in the summer of 2003.

Last updated: 10/06/05 9.09CET

Related information

Team profiles

http://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/news/newsid=308542.html#koln+land+szabics+coup