England round-up: Own goal ends Arsenal slump

Premiership champions Arsenal FC returned to winning ways with a 1-0 victory at Fulham FC.

Reigning English Premiership champions Arsenal FC are back to winning ways after their surprise four-game losing streak with a 1-0 victory at Fulham FC on Sunday.

Own goal decisive
Fulham's French striker Steve Marlet turned Thierry Henry's corner into his own net on 31 minutes, and although he nearly made amends when he forced David Seaman to make a superb save just after the hour - in front of watching England manager Sven-Göran Eriksson - Arsenal held on to return to within four points of unbeaten leaders Liverpool FC.

'The team were determined'
Arsenal manager Arsène Wenger admitted after the game: "The team were determined to get back to winning ways - no matter what it took. You could see that, how hungry the players were. It was not just about playing - it was about fighting. It was three important points."

London draw
Chelsea FC maintained their 15-year unbeaten league record at Tottenham Hotspur FC's White Hart Lane home as the London rivals played out a 0-0 draw. Tottenham had the best chances, but Chelsea goalkeeper Carlo Cudicini was in superb form to keep his side fourth, one place ahead of Spurs.

Rooney does it again
Wayne Rooney, just over a week after his 17th birthday, came on as a substitute with 17 minutes left and scored his second Premiership goal for Everton FC as they moved into sixth place with a 1-0 win at surprise strugglers Leeds United AFC. Rooney's excellent individual effort came with ten minutes to go, to ensure Everton's first league win at Elland Road for 51 years.

Villa pick up point
On a day of few Premiership goals, struggling Aston Villa FC picked up a useful point at the only English club to lose in the UEFA Cup second round first leg, Blackburn Rovers FC, in a goalless game.

Rowett saves Charlton
Charlton Athletic FC had Gary Rowett to thank for his equaliser 13 minutes from time to ensure they did not replace visitors Sunderland AFC in the bottom three. Tore Andre Flo had given Sunderland, still searching for a first win under new manager Howard Wilkinson, a 15th-minute lead.