France round-up: PSG held by Sochaux

Paris Saint-Germain FC missed the chance to go joint top of the Ligue 1 on Saturday.

Paris Saint-Germain FC missed the chance to go joint top of the Ligue 1 on Saturday as a late equaliser meant that FC Sochaux-Montbéliard took a 1-1 draw from the game at the Parc des Princes.

Mathieu equalises
The home side took the lead in the 65th minute when Nigerian striker Bartholomew Ogbeche put them in front, but an 85th-minute strike from Jérémy Mathieu meant the Paris club were denied the chance to move level on points with leaders OGC Nice and instead remain in third place.

Marseille frustrated
Olympique de Marseille were also unable to join Nice at the top of the table on 26 points as they were held to a goalless draw at En Avant Guingamp, meaning they missed the chance to capitalise on Nice and second-placed Olympique Lyonnais’ inactivity and stay fourth.

Double for Pauleta
FC Girondins de Bordeaux continued to climb the table after a 2-0 win over Stade Rennais, thanks to two goals from Portuguese international striker Pauleta. The Bordeaux forward put the home side in front in the 31st minute, before clinching the game with his second 14 minutes from time. Rennes midfield player Philippe Delaye was shown the red card in the final minute.

Strasbourg sixth
RC Strasbourg secured an impressive 1-0 home win over UEFA Champions League contenders RC Lens thanks to a goal from Yannick Fischer two minutes before half-time and move up one place to sixth.

Important victory
It was an important night of action in the bottom half of the table, as FC Nantes Atlantique secured a crucial 1-0 win at Lille OSC with a Stéphane Ziani goal, while Montpellier Hérault SC beat CS Sedan-Ardennes 2-0 thanks to goals from Habib Bamogo and a Marc-Eric Guei penalty. Valery Mezague was dismissed for the home side in the last minute.

Lively encounter
ES Troyes Aube Champagne beat SC Bastia 3-0 in an ill-tempered game which saw Bastia’s Cyril Jeunechamp and Benjamin Nivet of Troyes sent off. A first-half penalty from Nicolas Goussé put the home side in control, and his second goal in the 72nd minute left Bastia with a mountain to climb, before Mamadou Niang got the third a minute from time.