England round-up: Liverpool frustrated at Anfield

Liverpool FC were unable to return to the top of the English Premiership after being held 0-0 at home by improving Sunderland AFC.

Liverpool FC were unable to return to the top of the English Premiership after being held 0-0 at home by improving Sunderland AFC.

Revival of fortunes
Sunderland, now unbeaten in five matches and out of the bottom three after a revival in fortunes under recently-appointed manager Howard Wilkinson, were put under pressure by their hosts in the match, with Liverpool having 13 attempts on goal in the first half alone.

McCartney clearance
However, Sunderland goalkeeper Jürgen Macho made a superb save from Michael Owen before the break and the Liverpool striker saw a late effort cleared off the line by George McCartney to ensure the Anfield team, knocked out the UEFA Champions League on Tuesday, were unable to overtake Arsenal FC, who took top spot with a 3-0 win against Tottenham Hotspur FC on Saturday.

Campbell winner
Everton FC remain in magnificent form, retaining fourth place with a 1-0 victory at Blackburn Rovers FC, who exited the UEFA Cup on Thursday. Kevin Campbell's 19th-minute goal gave Everton their fifth straight win, after withstanding a Blackburn rearguard late in the game.

United hold on
Manchester United FC kept hold of fifth place, despite being held 1-1 by struggling West Ham United FC at Upton Park. Ruud van Nistelrooij scored on 43 minutes against the run of play for the visitors, but Jermain Defoe levelled four minutes from the end to ensure West Ham, still without a home win this season, did not end the weekend in last place.

Bolton leave it late
Leeds United AFC fell to their fourth consecutive home Premiership defeat, losing 4-2 against Bolton Wanderers FC who move off of bottom place at West Bromwich Albion FC's expense. Henrik Pedersen gave Bolton a third-minute lead, but Alan Smith immediately equalised and until late in the game the score remained 1-1. However, with ten minutes left Youri Djorkaeff put the visitors ahead once more, only for Harry Kewell to level. But Bolton were not finished, as Michael Ricketts converted a last-minute penalty, and there was still time for Pedersen to add his second.

Nine men secure draw
Fulham FC had two players sent off but still held home side Birmingham City FC to a 0-0 draw. Rufus Brevett was dismissed on 36 minutes for deliberate handball in the box, but Fulham goalkeeper Edwin van der Sar saved his blushes by stopping Stern John's penalty. Steve Marlet also received his marching orders 12 minutes from time for retaliation, and although Birmingham did get the ball in the Fulham net through substitute Clinton Morrison in added time, the goal was ruled out for offside.