Hungary round-up: Ferencvárosi set for summit

Ferencvárosi TC remain on course to go top after a 1-0 victory at MTK Hungária FC on Sunday.

Ferencvárosi TC remain on course to enter the Hungarian first division's winter break as league leaders after a 1-0 victory at MTK Hungária FC on Sunday.

Gera decisive
Zoltán Gera's 13th-minute strike was the game's only goal, although the red card shown to Ádám Komlósi for a foul on Péter Lipcsei made the visitors' quest for three points a little harder. József Garami’s side now sit just three points behind MTK with a game in hand - and should they beat basement club Kispest-Honvéd FC in a rearranged fixture on 6 December, they will leap to the top of the table until the league resumes in March.

Kispest rooted
Kispest remained bottom after losing 4-2 away against MFC Sopron on Saturday. Strikes from Zsolt Bárányos and István Borgulya were not enough to defeat Sopron, whose goals were scored by Mihály Tóth, Akos Csiszár, Euguja Javrujan and József Somogyi, who kept his nerve from the penalty spot.

Sabo sensational
Elsewhere, Zalaegerszegi TE drew 3-3 with Újpesti TE. Ferenc Horváth opened the scoring for the visitors before Radu Sabo scored a hat-trick inside 12 first-half minutes, completing his treble from the penalty spot. By that stage Zoltán Kovács had scored Újpest's second and it was left to Horváth to secure the draw on the hour. Péter Simek saw red late on, but ZTE could not make their one-man advantage count.

Gaál off
In the day's other games, Dunaferr SE were held to a goalless draw by Siófok BSE, despite the visitors having László Gaál sent off just before half-time. Békéscsabai EFC ran out 3-1 winners against home side Videoton FC Fehérvár, whose consolation goal from Ferenc Róth came after a Zeljko Gavrilovic double and a András Keresztúri strike for the visitors. Debreceni VSC also won 3-1, defeating Györi ETO FC thanks to hat-trick from Péter Bajzát, who had to leave the field with an injured knee midway through the second half.