News round-up: Roy Keane has begun his managerial career while players are making fresh starts at Spanish clubs RC Deportivo La Coruña and Real Betis Balompié.
Roy Keane has been confirmed as manager of English second-division side Sunderland AFC, with the former Manchester United FC and Republic of Ireland captain signing a three-year contract. "This represents a major coup for our football club," said Sunderland chairman Niall Quinn, a former Ireland team-mate of Keane. The 35-year-old left Celtic FC earlier in the summer, six months after parting company with Manchester United.
RC Deportivo La Coruña have signed Brazilian left-back Filipe Luis Kasmirski on a season-long loan from Uruguayan side CA Rentistas, with the option of a €2.2m transfer to follow. The 20-year-old former AFC Ajax defender played for Real Madrid CF B last term but was delighted to make the step up to the Primera División, saying he was "very happy to be able to play in the Spanish top flight and at a club like Depor".
Real Betis Balompié have acquired 27-year-old midfielder Jorge Wagner from Brazilian side SC Internacional. The attack-minded player is the sixth addition to Javier Irureta's squad for the 2006/07 season, after Damià Abella, Fernando Vega, Francisco Maldonado, Enrique Romero and Óscar López. Reports suggest BV Borussia Dortmund's 22-year-old Germany striker David Odonkor will become the Seville-based team's seventh recruit.
Real Racing Club Santander defender José Moratón Taeño has had surgery on the cruciate ligament and cartilage in his left knee after being injured in a pre-season friendly last week. The 27-year-old now faces a long period of rehabilitation which could sideline him for six months.
Bundesliga new boys TSV Alemannia Aachen have landed Slovakian international forward Szilárd Németh on a free transfer. The 29-year-old has put pen to paper on a two-year contract after he was released by English club Middlesbrough FC, having been loaned to RC Strasbourg last season.
Juventus were knocked out of the Italian Cup on penalties by SSC Napoli after their third-round tie finished 3-3 at the end of extra time. Around 60,000 spectators in Naples watched Napoli defender Paolo Cannavaro force extra time with a late equaliser, and the home side won 7-6 on spot-kicks when Juventus defender Federico Balzaretti blazed over the bar.
The Bolton Wanderers FC forward Kevin Davies, 29, faces around six weeks out after fracturing his cheekbone during Saturday's Premiership match at Charlton Athletic FC. "It's terrible news for Kevin and the squad," said Bolton manager Sam Allardyce.
Dutch Under-21 international Henrico Drost has joined SC Excelsior on loan for the season from SC Heerenveen. The 19-year-old wing-back's twin brother Jeroen is also on the books at Heerenveen.
The former Ukraine midfielder Serhiy Serebrennikov has left Club Brugge KV for city rivals Cercle Brugge KSV. The former FC Dynamo Kyiv player, who turns 30 on Friday, has signed a one-year deal. Karel Snoeckx is also on the move in Belgium, joining KSK Beveren from KFC Germinal Beerschot Antwerpen. There was no transfer fee for the 32-year-old midfielder, who agreed a two-year stay.
In Italy, promoted Catania Calcio have recruited Gianluca Falsini from AC Siena for an undisclosed fee. The 30-year-old former Parma FC, Atalanta BC and Reggina Calcio player penned a three-year contract with the Sicilian club.