The official website for European football

Wales round-up: Llantsantffraid lament missed chance

Published: Sunday 23 February 2003, 19.10CET
TNS Llantsantffraid FC missed the chance to move clear at the top by drawing 1-1 with Newtown AFC. features

Finals and winners - UEFA Direct 185 out now
  • Finals and winners - UEFA Direct 185 out now
  • 2019/20 UEFA club competitions revenue distribution system
  • KV Mechelen replaced in the 2019/20 UEFA Europa League
  • Olivia's call to action on women's football
  • Scotland duo Cuthbert and Love back WU19 EURO
  • U19 ambassador Mkhitaryan's Armenian pride
  • UEFA's commitment to developing women's football
  • Armenia looks to secure strong grassroots future with help from UEFA
  • UEFA launches free-to-air OTT digital platform
  • Switzerland mourns Florijana Ismaili
1 of 10
Published: Sunday 23 February 2003, 19.10CET

Wales round-up: Llantsantffraid lament missed chance

TNS Llantsantffraid FC missed the chance to move clear at the top by drawing 1-1 with Newtown AFC.

TNS Llantsantffraid FC missed out on the chance to move clear at the top of the League of Wales by drawing 1-1 at home to Newtown AFC - an outcome mirrored at Farrar Road, where third-placed Bangor City FC met second-placed Barry Town AFC.

Wilde shot
Llansantffraid had to come from behind after Newtown's Mark Williams flicked on a long-range set piece and Justin Wickham shot past goalkeeper Gerrard Doherty five minutes after half-time. But it took just three minutes to find an equaliser, Mike Wilde firing into the bottom corner after good build-up play with Scott Ruscoe.

Moralee volley
At Farrar Road, Ricky Evans converted an 18th-minute penalty to give Bangor the lead but within a minute Jamie Moralee equalised, twisting to volley a right-wing cross past Phil Priestley.

Flexys muscle
Aberystwyth Town FC failed to close the gap on the leading pack and remain in fourth position after losing 3-0 to Flexys Cefn Druids AFC at Plaskynaston Lane. Flexys had the match wrapped up before half-time - Steve Rogers set the ball rolling with goals on nine and 40 minutes and Mathew Dabbs added his name to the scoresheet just before the break.

Moran leveller
Rhyl FC salvaged a 1-1 draw with ten-man Oswestry Town FC when Andy Moran converted Mark Powell's cross on the hour. Oswestry had gone ahead through Scott Williams' 17th minute cross-shot and Mark Antrobus was sent off for two bookable offences late on.

Bartley steals it
Afan Lido FC secured their ninth away win of the season thanks to an 89th-minute strike at Caersws FC. Lido led from the 36th minute when Steve Parry broke clear and shot past stranded goalkeeper Andy Mulliner. Caersws drew level on 73 minutes when Graham Evans chipped Brian Thomas but, with a draw looking inevitable, Kevin Bartley made it 2-1 from close range.

Griffiths cracker
Connah's Quay Nomads FC also won on the road, chalking up a 3-1 victory against Haverfordwest County AFC. Tommy Mutton began the afternoon's scoring on 13 minutes and when Craig Lawton doubled the visitors' advantage on the hour, a comfortable win looked on the cards. But Rhys Griffiths scored a spectacular 50-metre goal to bring Haverfordwest back into the match just before the hour mark - but missed a penalty eight minutes later, meaning Stuart Raine's goal put the game out of the home side's reach.

Early Hurlin
In the weekend's other games, Rick Hurlin's left-foot rocket after just 18 seconds was enough to give Cwmbran Town FC victory against Caernarfon Town FC, Carmarthen Town AFC's Jonathan Keaveny scored a hat-trick as his side beat Welshpool Town AFC 5-1 and Llanelli FC stay rooted to the bottom of the table despite recording a 1-1 draw against Port Talbot, who had Hayden Fleming sent off at the death.

Last updated: 23/02/03 19.41CET



Related information

Member associations
Team profiles