United held as Chelsea fight back

Chelsea FC needed a second-half comeback to beat Reading FC 2-1 on a night when the champions Manchester United FC could only draw again.

Chelsea FC hit back in the second half to beat Reading FC 2-1 but the champions Manchester United FC stumbled to their second successive Premier League draw as they were held 1-1 at Portsmouth FC and had Cristiano Ronaldo sent off.

City win
A night of drama also saw Manchester City FC, with their first home goal since January 1, record their second successive win by beating Derby County FC 1-0, Fulham FC defeat Bolton Wanderers FC 2-1, Wigan Athletic FC see off Middlesbrough FC 1-0 and Sunderland AFC score another late goal to draw 2-2 at Birmingham City FC.

Chelsea comeback
Reading earned a point from a goalless draw at Old Trafford last Sunday but were looking to go one better on home soil against Chelsea. They took the lead on the half hour through Andre Bikey after goalkeeper Petr Čech had failed to gather a high ball but paid a heavy price for missing further chances. José Mourinho made two changes at half-time and it paid immediate dividends as Chelsea equalised through Frank Lampard in the 47th minute and took the lead with a curled Didier Drogba effort two minutes later to give the London side their second win of the season.

Tévez debut
Carlos Tévez marked his Manchester United debut by setting up Paul Scholes for the opening goal at Fratton Park after 15 minutes. United played some fine football but Portsmouth, who had beaten them in three of their four previous Premier League meetings on the south coast, stunned the champions with a 53rd-minute equaliser via a Benjani Mwaruwari header. Portsmouth's Sulley Muntari was sent off in the 83rd minute for a second booking and Ronaldo followed him two minutes later after an off-the-ball incident that leaves the winger banned for three games, including Sunday's derby against resurgent Manchester City.

Drought ended
Sven-Goran Eriksson's City followed up their impressive opening 2-0 success at West Ham United by beating promoted Derby with a well-taken goal by 19-year-old Michael Johnson.That 43rd-minute effort brought to an end the longest home top-flight drought since the league was founded in 1888.