Tough start for 'Montenegrin Chelsea'

by Aleksandar Radović, Podgorica
Published: Friday, 14 September 2007, 10:43
FK Mogren coach Dejan Vukićević insisted "nobody can forge a team in ten days" after his side of all star players made a miserable start to the Montenegrin season.

FK Mogren coach Dejan Vukićević insisted "nobody can forge a team in ten days" after his all star side made a miserable start to the new Montenegrin season.

Big movers
The Budva-based side were the biggest movers in the summer transfer market in Montenegro, earning themselves the unfortunate nickname of the Montenegrin Chelsea. They signed international forward Nikola Vujović from FK Budućnost Podgorica, defender Luka Pejović from OFK Grbalj and brought Vladimir Vujović home following a spell in Saudi Arabia.

Name signings
Goalkeeper Ivan Janjušević and midfielder Bojan Kalezić - a key member of Montenegro's Under-21 team - were also drafted in along with the experienced Vladimir Gluščević while former AC Sparta Praha striker Damir Čakar put his retirement plans on hold to join the team, saying: "There is a big project going on in Budva and I have decided to be a part of it."

Poor start
However, five games into the new season, Mogren have yet to win a game, with three draws, two defeats and only two goals leaving them second from bottom in the 12-team table. "Good players don't guarantee a good team," said Vukićević, who was drafted in to replace Miodrag Bajović two games into the campaign. "Nobody can build a team in ten days."

Winter rethink
The former Sevilla FC player continued: "We just want to show that we are capable of winning a title but we have not promised anything. There is no doubt we have a quality 20-man squad but teams win and lose. Our first aim is not to let our main rivals [FK Zeta and Budućnost] get too far ahead. In the winter break, we will have a chance to make quality preparations and then, who knows?"

Long-term plan
Even before they had made their new signings, Mogren had been announcing their desire to shake up the footballing scene in Montenegro, but now sporting director Ilija Radjenović is taking a more reserved approach. "This is a squad for the title but next year," he said. "Our objective this season is to win a place in one of the European competitions."

Related information

Club profiles

UEFA.com features

UEFA ASSIST’s GS Academy kicks off in Africa
  • UEFA ASSIST’s GS Academy kicks off in Africa
  • Associations proud of new kits
  • Tending the grassroots - UEFA Direct 181 out now
  • UEFA statement on Financial Fair Play
  • Aleksander Čeferin sole candidate for UEFA Presidency
  • Alipay signs long-term deal to become UEFA national team football sponsor
  • Referees train for VAR launch in Madrid
  • “Everything is possible if you try…”
  • 11 associations interested in hosting 2021 club finals
  • Outstanding national association projects saluted at UEFA GROW Awards
1 of 10