Josep Guardiola has no doubts his FC Bayern München side will successfully negotiate a tricky second leg, but the message from FC Shakhtar Donetsk is one of hope.
Article top media content
• Josep Guardiola confident Bayern can get requisite win after 0-0 first leg
• Guardiola: "If Shakhtar were in the Bundesliga they'd be among the title favourites"
• Mircea Lucescu concedes Shakhtar aren't favourites but reckons his team have a chance
• Philipp Lahm could return after 16 weeks out; Xabi Alonso suspended
• Shakhtar are seven games unbeaten in all competitions
Bayern: Neuer; Rafinha, Boateng, Badstuber, Bernat; Schweinsteiger, Alaba; Robben, Müller, Ribéry; Lewandowski.
• Out: Martínez (cruciate ligaments), Thiago Alcántara (knee), Alonso (suspended)
• Doubtful: Lahm (ankle)
Shakhtar: Pyatov; Srna, Kucher, Rakitskiy, Shevchuk; Stepanenko; Douglas Costa, Fernando, Alex Teixeira, Taison; Luiz Adriano.
• Out: Bernard (ankle)
• Doubtful: Ordets (unknown), Kryvtsov (unknown)
Josep Guardiola, Bayern coach
I am very optimistic. I have always said we would win this tie and that feeling has not altered. Donetsk have a lot of quality. They have players who could play here in Germany and if Shakhtar played in the Bundesliga they would be among the title favourites. Their style of play, with fast counterattacks and a lot of individual quality, is really impressive.
When I was at Barcelona we played them several times and only once did we win clearly. They still have the same coach and many of the same players. I really was very satisfied with our performance in the first leg because I knew the quality of the opposition. I knew it would not be easy but in the end they did not have more than one good chance.
We have to win; we know that. Lose and our Champions League campaign is over; even a score draw. Donetsk are a strong team and they deserve to go through to the quarter-finals. Unfortunately, only one of us can go through and I am confident it will be us. We have not practised penalties!
Mircea Lucescu, Shakhtar coach
I don't think there is any coach who can predict exactly what will happen but what I can say is that the 70,000 supporters here will get a good game. Bayern have many very good players and are one of the best teams in Europe. But the better team doesn't always win.
Bayern are top quality. What Guardiola is doing here is impressive. They really play very nice football. I have not met many coaches with such quality. We have known each other a long time and there won't be many surprises between us. But you never know; anything can happen.
The situation at home is very complicated. The circumstances are very complicated and the players can't just forget what is happening in Ukraine. The situation is hard for us all but we have to deal with it and keep at a high level.
Form guide (all competitions)
• Lucescu's Shakhtar played five times against Guardiola's FC Barcelona and suffered four defeats (including 1-0 in the 2009 UEFA Super Cup). Which one did they win? Find out in our extensive match background.