Rudi Garcia says Roma will be reinvigorated when the knockout rounds get under way after a point was enough against BATE, who gave their all according to Aleksandr Yermakovich.
Article top media content
- Rudi Garcia insists Roma deserve their qualification despite below-par performance
- Giallorossi boss says side will be ready for knockout rounds when they arrive
- BATE's Aleksandr Yermakovich dejected after his team come close to advancing
- Belarusian coach thanks his players after near-miss
- Round of 16 draw takes place at 12.00CET on Monday
Rudi Garcia, Roma coach
It is true that Wojciech Szczęsny made a magnificent save but we did everything to score and to win the game. We qualified because at the end of group stage we were better than third and fourth. To advance despite a disappointing performance like this is important for us.
Edin Džeko ended with cramp but I could not change it because we have a lot of injuries in attack. Our first target of the season has been achieved and we will be back in February with more resources. We wanted to win and nothing else, but also knew a draw would be good enough if Leverkusen could not win, and that is what happened.
Aleksandr Yermakovich, BATE coach
We had the hope of winning right until the end. We will have to dream for a long time before we have the chance of coming so close to qualifying again. I say thank you to all my players for the performance they delivered. Roma's strategy was focused on counterattacking. In the first half they moved well in defence and managed to control us, but in the second half we were more dangerous.