"We almost never get an easy UEFA Champions League draw," said CSKA boss Leonid Slutski; "it will always be a tough competition," noted Spurs manager Mauricio Pochettino.
Article top media content
Who's in Group E?
CSKA Moskva (RUS)
• UEFA coefficient ranking: 41
• How they qualified: first in Russian Premier-Liga
• Previous group stage campaigns: 9 (last appearance: 2015/16)
• Last season: UEFA Champions League group stage
• Best European Cup performance: quarter-finals (2009/10)
Bayer Leverkusen (GER)
• UEFA coefficient ranking: 18
• How they qualified: third in German Bundesliga
• Previous group stage campaigns: 10 (last appearance: 2015/16)
• Last season: UEFA Champions League group stage, UEFA Europa League round of 16
• Best European Cup performance: runners-up (2001/02)
Tottenham Hotspur (ENG)
• UEFA coefficient ranking: 23
• How they qualified: third in English Premier League
• Previous group stage campaigns: 1 (last appearance: 2010/11)
• Last season: UEFA Europa League round of 16
• Best European Cup performance: semi-finals (1961/62)
• UEFA coefficient ranking: 58
• How they qualified: third in Ligue 1, play-off winners
• Previous group stage campaigns: 6 (last appearance: 2014/15)
• Last season: UEFA Champions League play-offs/UEFA Europa League group stage
• Best European Cup performance: runners-up (2003/04)
Matchday one fixtures (Wednesday 14 September)
Leverkusen v CSKA
Tottenham v Monaco
• Tottenham won 1-0 at Bayer Leverkusen in the 2006/07 UEFA Cup group stage, Dimitar Berbatov scoring against his former club.
• Tottenham and Monaco met in last season's UEFA Europa League group stage: Spurs won 4-1 at White Hart Lane on matchday six, having drawn 1-1 away from home two months earlier.
• Monaco registered two 1-0 victories against Leverkusen in the 2014/15 UEFA Champions League group stage. In the 1997/98 group stage, Monaco beat the Werkself 4-0 at Stade Louis II and drew 2-2 away.
• Monaco forward Vágner Love may come up against CSKA Moskva for the first time, having spent the bulk of his career with the club. He played his last match for the Army Men in July 2013, joining Monaco this January after spells in China and Brazil.
Reaction to the draw
Leonid Slutski, CSKA coach
We know we almost never get an easy UEFA Champions League draw, and today – in my opinion – we had another tough one as we got the strongest teams from Pot 3 and Pot 4. Tottenham, Monaco and Leverkusen play in top European leagues. Anyway the draw is made, the groups are set. We have a chance because of our experience of playing against big clubs.
Roger Schmidt, Leverkusen coach
Just like in 2014/15, we have been drawn in a very even group. Back then, we finished second. Once again it is our ambition to make it through to the round of 16.
Rudi Völler, Leverkusen sporting director
It's probable the most even of all the groups. Anything can happen. We got Monaco, probably the best team from Pot 4. Tottenham are really strong, just like Russian champions CSKA, but we are going into this group with a positive outlook.
Mauricio Pochettino, Spurs manager
We know very well that Russia is always difficult and CSKA are sure to have a very good team. Last season we played Borussia Dortmund in the Europa League and we can see how competitive German teams are. Bayer Leverkusen will be tough as well. We know Monaco well. Again, it's tough. It's the Champions League and it will always be a tough competition.