Bayer 04 Leverkusen insist Club Atlético de Madrid are favourites going into the last-16 second leg but, with two wise heads suspended, Diego Simeone urges caution.
Article top media content
• Atlético boss Diego Simeone calls for cool heads and a cauldron of noise
• Leverkusen's Roger Schmidt insists the Spanish team are still favourites
• Diego Godín and Tiago are suspended for an Atleti side down to fourth in the Liga
• Leverkusen lost all six previous matches in the round of 16 before winning the first leg
• The Rojiblancos won their three home group games with a 10-0 aggregate score
Atlético: Moyà; Juanfran, Giménez, Miranda, Jesús Gámez; Mario Suárez, Gabi, Koke; Arda, Griezmann, Mandžukić.
• Out: Godín (suspended), Tiago (suspended), Saúl Ñíguez (back), Siqueira (hamstring)
Leverkusen: Leno; Hilbert, Toprak, Spahić, Wendell; Castro, L Bender; Bellarabi, Çalhanoğlu, Son; Drmić.
• Out: Jedvaj (match fitness), Kruse (ankle)
• Doubtful: Spahić (knee)
Diego Simeone, Atlético coach
Koke is one of the best midfielders around in terms of reading the game. When he is at his best, he allows us to play more dynamically because of his quick mind.
Bayer are a vertical team, they play very direct football. They have great speed in their forward line – we have to avoid the situations we couldn't avoid in the first leg. Our goal is to win. We must be quick in the transition when they lose the ball.
I want a noisy [Vicente] Calderón that pushes us to get things done. I don't want a moment's silence. The best way to win is by playing football. In life and football there are times when things don't go well. We have to keep working and keeping the faith. We need cool heads.
Roger Schmidt, Leverkusen coach
The first-leg result was positive but we haven't achieved anything yet. Atlético are still favourites and we'll have to put in a big effort. We know Atlético are strong at home and a team with a strong mentality who fight a lot. We must keep cool heads and play to our strengths.
We will try to keep possession and look for fast transitions, as we did at home. Hakan Çalhanoğlu is one of 11 players and our strength is the whole team. We will try to play as a team. We were not favourites going into the tie and we just need to focus on the 90 minutes ahead. Lars Bender is fit to play.
I don't think Atletico are on a bad run, because they have beaten Real Madrid twice and last Saturday could have won at Espanyol with ten men. Mario Mandžukić and Fernando Torres are different kinds of striker but Atlético will play the same way whichever one plays. We are ready for either.
I'm not worried, I'm excited. This is a huge challenge and our fans are part of it. If we want to reach the next round we have to make a massive effort. We will try to feed off the atmosphere and turn it into an extra motivation for us.
Form guide (all competitions)
• Who appeared as a substitute for SS Lazio in two 1-1 draws with Leverkusen in the 1999/2000 UEFA Champions League first group stage? Find out in our extensive match background.