Leonid Slutski told his PFC CSKA Moskva players they need to treat Tuesday's game against AS Roma like "paintball", with counterpart Rudi Garcia in wary mood.
Article top media content
• Leonid Slutski hopes CSKA have cleared out the "bugs" of matchday one
• Slutski without Bebras Natcho, who has started every Group E game so far
• CSKA come into the match having lost twice on the bounce in Russia's Premier-Liga
• Roma coach Rudi Garcia says the matchday one win is "in our favour"
Permutations: CSKA Moskva (4 pts) v Roma (4)
• Roma would be through with a win if Manchester City FC fail to beat FC Bayern München.
• CSKA would progress only if they beat Roma by a scoreline which gives them a head-to-head edge on the Serie A team, and if City fail to win.
CSKA: Akinfeev; Mário Fernandes, Ignashevich, V Berezutski, Schennikov; Wernbloom, Dzagoev, Eremenko; Musa, Milanov, Doumbia.
• Out: Natcho (muscle), Elm (stomach)
• Doubtful: Wernbloom (muscle)
Roma: De Sanctis; Florenzi (Somma), Manolas, Astori, Holebas; Nainggolan, De Rossi, Keita, Pjanić; Gervinho, Totti.
• Out: Maicon (knee), Torosidis (calf), Yanga-Mbiwa (thigh), Castán (head)
Leonid Slutski, CSKA coach
We have a good chance of qualifying from the group and we need to make the most of it. We have some problems in the middle of the pitch and are working out how to solve them. The loss of Bebras Natcho is a blow. Tonight it will be clear whether Pontus Wernbloom will be able to take part or not.
I do not think that the Manchester City, Bayern or Krasnodar players are any slower than Roma's. It all depends on how you prepare for your opponents. As for our position in the group, if we were talking about paintball, you could say that we just need to attack. However, we played two matches against Manchester City who also really needed the points – and it was very difficult to work out how to play against them.
The conclusion from the first meeting [the 5-1 loss in Italy] is that Roma are a very strong team. The return match will show whether we were successful in getting rid of the bugs from our team.
Rudi Garcia, Roma coach
Roma are always Roma. However, in Europe many teams are stronger than we are. Tomorrow we will try to play our own game. In our favour is the result of the first match. Tomorrow, we will make every effort to achieve a positive result. However, it will not be easy against a team like CSKA.
When the draw was made, we thought we'd like to be at least in the play-offs after the fifth game. We will look to do our best and achieve at least a draw, though we won't be playing for this result. We will play to win. It is important that the team are able to change their game plan depending on the opposition.
If you remember my words after the first match, I said that CSKA are a very strong team. Their game against Manchester City only served to confirm that. Maicon is healthy but has not yet trained with the group. We decided in training yesterday that he's not ready to play.
• CSKA have won just one of their last seven UEFA Champions League home matches; what was unusual about that victory? Find out in our extensive match background.