FC BATE Borisov have shipped 19 goals in Group H but with a UEFA Europa League spot at stake, Aleksandr Yermakovich says there are no fears as FC Porto come calling.
Article top media content
• Aleksandr Yermakovich insists BATE are not afraid of Group H leaders Porto
• Porto have not played since 9 November
• Dmitri Likhtarovich set to equal Aleksandr Hleb's Belarusian record of 92 UEFA club games
• Porto are eight away matches unbeaten this season, winning four and drawing four
• BATE stretched their undefeated league run to a record 30 games on Saturday
Permutations: BATE (3pts) v Porto (10)
• BATE must win both remaining matches and hope FC Shakhtar Donetsk lose theirs to go through; they will ensure at least UEFA Europa League football if they win and Athletic Club do not beat Shakhtar.
• Porto are through and will clinch first place if they win and Shakhtar do not.
BATE: Chernik; Olekhnovich, Tubić, Gayduchik, M Volodko/Mladenović; Likhtarovich, A Volodko; Baga, Karnitski, Gordeychuk; Signevich.
• Out: Khagush (suspended), Filipenko (hamstring)
Porto: Andrés Fernández; Ricardo, Maicon, Marcano, Alex Sandro; Casemiro, Rúben Neves, Óliver Torres; Tello, Quaresma, Aboubakar.
• Out: None
Aleksandr Yermakovich, BATE coach
One thing is clear: there is no sense in playing open football against Porto. We will play a different game, with a more organised approach in defence. Against teams like this, first of all you need counterattacks and set pieces. And also a bit of luck.
How do we feel? Not afraid, that's for sure. Above all, we have a sense of duty. I believe that those 6-0 [against Porto], 7-0, 5-0 [both against Shakhtar] scorelines do not represent the the real difference in class between those teams and us. We could have played better, made more of a game of it. I believe we can take points off teams like these.
Without such defeats, there would never be victories and points. It is very hard to take – believe me, the players and coaches are no less gutted than our fans – but you have to have faith. After such painful blows you have to strive to get back up on your feet to rise and do better. We are not going to give up. Everything will come right.
Julen Lopetegui, Porto coach
Every Champions League game is important and we don't want to make the mistake of underestimating BATE. You have to respect a team that qualified for the group stage and judge them by what they have done – a win against Athletic is no mean feat.
They have already won their league and we have to assess them realistically. Yes, we are already through to the next stage but we want to finish in a position that will allow us to avoid stronger rivals in the next round. It is very important for us to get three points.
BATE 4-0 FC Gomel (Gordeychuk 4, Rodionov 10, Olekhnovich 29, Signevich 57)
Porto: no game
Form guide (all competitions)
• BATE have shipped 19 goals in the group stage so far – what is the most that has been conceded in a single group stage campaign? Find out in our extensive match background.