Munich finals have habit for upsets

The Fußball Arena München may be staging its first European final but the city is no stranger to the biggest club fixture of all. looks at the three past Olympiastadion deciders.

Marseille triumphed in Munich in 1993
Marseille triumphed in Munich in 1993 ©AFP

The Fußball Arena München will stage its first European Champion Clubs' Cup final when the UEFA Champions League concludes there on 19 May.

However, the Olympiastadion – which will host the UEFA Women's Champions League decider on 17 May – staged the men's showpiece three times, not to mention the 1974 FIFA World Cup and 1988 UEFA European Championship deciders. looks back at the three previous times the biggest fixture in European club football visited Munich.

28 May 1997

Borussia Dortmund 3-1 Juventus
The last European Cup final at the Olympiastadion was a triumph for Germany, but not FC Bayern München. Holders Juve started favourites but just as they had taken the title off AFC Ajax the year before, so Dortmund did to the Turin side what Hamburger SV had in the 1983 final. Karl-Heinz Riedle broke the deadlock just before the half-hour and five minutes later headed Dortmund two up. Substitute Alessandro Del Piero reduced arrears with a 64th-minute back-heel but Dortmund then brought on Lars Ricken. With his first touch he brilliantly chipped Angelo Peruzzi from long range to clinch his club's first European title.

26 May 1993

Olympique de Marseille 1-0 AC Milan
Four years earlier, the first UEFA Champions League final had been at the Olympiastadion – again there was defeat for the Italian favourites. The all-star Milan team including Marco van Basten, Frank Rijkaard and a host of Italian internationals had already lifted the European Cup in 1989 and 1990. They would do so again in 1994, but on this occasion Marseille got the better of them courtesy of Basile Boli's goal just before half-time. For the country which had invented the European Cup, it was a first triumph.

30 May 1979

Nottingham Forest 1-0 Malmö FF
Two of European football's less glamorous names had their day in the spotlight in the first Munich final. Injury-hit Malmö, the only ever Swedish finalists, presented a tough test for a Forest side aiming to keep the trophy in England following Liverpool FC's triumphs in 1977 and 1978. Forest manager Brian Clough was able to give a competition debut to Trevor Francis, the first British player to be signed for £1m, and although he was fielded out on the right wing it was he who headed in John Robertson's cross just before half-time to clinch the title.