On paper there is little to play for but with Borussia Dortmund keen to build on a rare league win and RSC Anderlecht out to make amends, there are clear incentives.
Article top media content
• Dortmund face Anderlecht needing just a point to secure first place
• BVB coach Jürgen Klopp: "It's still about gaining stability for us"
• Anderlecht seeking to make amends after two recent domestic defeats
• Sebastian Kehl out for home side due to rib and thigh injuries
• Dortmund climbed off foot of Bundesliga with narrow weekend win
Permutations: Dortmund (12pts) v Anderlecht (5)
• Dortmund are through and will clinch the group with a draw unless Arsenal beat Galatasaray by enough to overtake BVB on overall goal difference or goals scored. Currently Dortmund's goal difference is better by six; their head-to-head with Arsenal is level.
• Anderlecht will come third and transfer to the UEFA Europa League round of 32.
Dortmund: Langerak; Piszczek, Subotić, Hummels, Schmelzer; S Bender, Gündoğan; Aubameyang, Kagawa, Mkhitaryan; Ramos.
• Out: Kehl (rib, thigh), Reus (ankle), Papastathopoulos (leg)
Anderlecht: Proto; Vanden Borre, Mbemba, Deschacht, N'Sakala; Dendoncker, Kljestan; Acheampong, Praet, Conté; Mitrović.
• Out: Suárez (knee), Nuytinck (toe), Najar (thigh)
• Doubtful: Defour (calf)
Jürgen Klopp, Dortmund coach
Anderlecht are an exceptionally talented team who are playing without any pressure. This could mean anything, but most likely a very good performance from them. I did not think the game at Anderlecht [a 3-0 win on matchday two] was easy at all, we just scored at the right times which opened a lot of doors for us. We are expecting a tough task, I really like their team.
This is also about getting a boost for our upcoming Bundesliga matches – this game fits nicely into our schedule and the opposition will pose a real challenge. For us, it's still about getting some stability. We also want to come first in the group; then we want to sit back and see who we get in the draw.
For the first time, Mats Hummels is in a place where he has no problems during the game and does not feel weak at any stage. [Also] I have decided which keeper to play but I don't intend to tell you yet! I think it's nice that something else is being written about us now, instead of only our failure to get results.
Besnk Hasi, Anderlecht coach
The players have a chance to ask the fans for forgiveness after the Mouscron game. The fans are always there for us, support us, propel us forward, like against Arsenal when 3,000 were in London and stayed behind us even when we were 3-0 down. But words are not enough after the Mouscron and Charleroi [a 3-1 loss on 22 November] games. Deeds have to follow. We have confronted the players with their mistakes.
It is not a gala game for us; it is an away game against the best team in the group. We have to put in 100%. They are the only team to have outplayed us in the Champions League, we have to acknowledge that. The situation in the Bundesliga notwithstanding, they are still a top team in Europe; they create seven or eight chances per game.
Form guide (all competitions)
• What was the result when the teams met in the 1990/91 UEFA Cup third round? Find out in our match background.