Manchester City FC will try to bounce back from their opening loss at FC Bayern München FC when they host an AS Roma side with a poor record on English soil.
Article top media content
Manchester City FC will look to bounce back from their opening loss at FC Bayern München FC when they host AS Roma for the first time on matchday two.
• At home in last season's competition the English champions posted two wins (5-2 v PFC CSKA Moskva, 4-2 v FC Viktoria Plzeň) but also two defeats (1-3 v Bayern, 0-2 v FC Barcelona).
• Aleksandar Kolarov's equaliser in the 1-1 draw with SSC Napoli in the 2011/12 group stage maintained City's unbeaten record at home to Serie A sides (W2, D2, L0). Morgan De Sanctis was in Napoli's goal that night.
• City's most recent victory, home or away, against an Italian team was the 3-0 triumph against AC Milan in the 1978/79 UEFA Cup third round, which secured a 5-2 aggregate success. Brian Kidd, now assistant manager, scored in both legs.
• The Giallorossi opened their Group E campaign with a 5-1 home win against CSKA.
• They have won only once in 14 previous visits to England – 1-0 at Liverpool FC in the 2000/01 UEFA Cup fourth round. Even then they lost the tie 2-1 on aggregate.
• They have lost on all three previous visits to Manchester too – all at Old Trafford where Daniele De Rossi (who scored) and Francesco Totti played in the 7-1 UEFA Champions League quarter-final defeat by Manchester United FC in 2006/07.
• Their most recent visit to England brought a 1-1 draw at Fulham FC in the 2009/10 UEFA Europa League group stage. De Rossi played.
• In his first season in Europe, Manuel Pellegrini led Villarreal CF to a 1-1 draw against Roma's neighbours SS Lazio at the Stadio Olimpico in the UEFA Cup group stage. The next season, Villarreal beat FC Internazionale Milano on away goals in the 2005/06 UEFA Champions League quarter-finals (1-2 away, 1-0 home).
• Pellegrini later faced Milan twice in the group stage: with Real Madrid CF (2-3 h, 1-1 a; 2009/10) and with Málaga CF (1-0 h, 1-1 a; 2012/13).
• On his last visit to north-west England, Rudi Garcia's LOSC Lille side lost 3-0 at Liverpool FC in the 2009/10 UEFA Europa League round of 16, surrendering a 1-0 first-leg lead.
• Roma icon Totti has neither scored nor won in nine past visits to England in UEFA club competition – a sequence that began in November 1998. He prevailed with Italy in a 2-1 friendly success over England in March 2002.
• Kolarov made 82 Serie A appearances and scored six goals for Lazio (2007–10). He played in four Rome derbies, winning two and losing two, and scored in a 4-2 home success over the Giallorossi in April 2009.
• With ACF Fiorentina (2008–13), Stevan Jovetić made 116 Serie A appearances and scored 35 goals. In six Serie A games against Roma he scored twice – in home (3-0) and away (2-1) victories in 2011/12.
• Ashley Cole struck the only goal in Arsenal FC's 1-0 victory at City on 25 September 2004. With Arsenal and Chelsea FC, he won on his first six trips to City's current stadium and then lost the last four.
• Sergio Agüero and Pablo Zabaleta helped Argentina beat Miralem Pjanić's Bosnia and Herzegovina 2-1 in their opening 2014 FIFA World Cup game.
• Yaya Touré played with Gervinho in the Ivory Coast side eliminated from the World Cup by a last-gasp 2-1 loss to the Greece of José Holebas, Kostas Manolas and Vassilis Torosidis.
• David Silva scored the opening goal as Spain defeated De Rossi's Italy 4-0 in the UEFA EURO 2012 final.
• Frank Lampard scored a penalty past De Sanctis in Chelsea's 2011/12 quarter-final victory over Napoli.
• Lampard and Cole were Chelsea team-mates from 2006 to 2014.
• Maicon made 13 appearances for City in 2012/13.
• In two seasons with Arsenal (2011–13), Gervinho visited City twice, losing 1-0 and drawing 1-1.
• As a Newcastle United FC player (2013–14), Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa suffered two 4-0 defeats away to City.
• Pellegrini and Zabaleta are available after serving one-game bans on matchday one.
• Frank Lampard took his tally to four goals in three games as City won 4-2 at Hull City on Saturday. He now has 173 Premier League goals, only two less than Thierry Henry.
• Eliaquim Mangala headed into his own net at Hull, then conceded a penalty, from which Abel Hernández made it 2-2.
• City have not won their opening home group stage fixture in three previous attempts.
• Home debutant Frank Lampard equalised against former club Chelsea FC as City drew 1-1 with the Premier League leaders on 21 September.
• Lampard scored twice three days later in the holders' 7-0 League Cup victory at home to Sheffield Wednesday FC – the third-round tie was goalless at half-time.
• Edin Džeko registered a double against Wednesday, his first goals of the season, while 18-year-old debutant José Ángel Pozo made it 6-0 late on.
• The win, City's biggest since 2 November 2013, was their first for a month.
• De Rossi is available having served a suspension on matchday one.
• Roma claimed their third 2-0 home win in as many outings this season against Hellas Verona FC on Saturday, marking Francesco Totti's 38th birthday in style.
• Having finished last season with three defeats, Roma have opened their Serie A campaign with five consecutive victories. They won a league record ten straight games at the beginning of last term.
• Pjanić's late free-kick earned a 2-1 win at Parma FC on 24 September. José Holebas made his Roma debut at the Stadio Ennio Tardini.
• De Rossi has sat out the last two games with a thigh injury suffered against Cagliari Calcio on 21 September.
• Davide Astori (knee) and Juan Iturbe (thigh) have not played since sustaining injuries against CSKA. Leandro Castán is sidelined with a neck problem.