After overwhelming AS Roma at the Stadio Olimpico, FC Bayern München can book their place in the round of 16 if they beat the Giallorossi again back in Munich.
Article top media content
After overwhelming AS Roma at the Stadio Olimpico, FC Bayern München will book their place in the round of 16 if they beat the Giallorossi again in Bavaria.
• Bayern's 7-1 dismantling of Roma on matchday three was their biggest away win in UEFA competition. For Roma, it was the heaviest home loss and joint-biggest defeat overall in their European history.
• The clubs first met in the 1984/85 European Cup Winners' Cup quarter-finals, Bayern winning 4-1 on aggregate (2-0 h, 2-1 a).
• They met again in the 2010/11 UEFA Champions League group stage when Bayern prevailed 2-0 at home but then surrendered a two-goal lead at the Stadio Olimpico as Roma battled back to win 3-2, with Daniele De Rossi, Francesco Totti and Marco Borriello scoring.
• The lineups in Munich on 15 September 2010 were:
Bayern: Butt, Lahm, Van Buyten, Badstuber, Contento, Schweinsteiger, Van Bommel, Müller (Pranjić 82), Kroos, Altıntop (Klose 67), Olić (Gomez 67).
Roma: Júlio Sérgio, Rosi, Burdisso, Juan, Cassetti, Brighi, Pizarro, De Rossi, Perrotta, Borriello, Totti (Ménez 79).
• Josep Guardiola's Group E leaders will guarantee a seventh successive appearance in the knockout rounds with victory.
• Bayern's home record against Serie A clubs is W8 D5 L5. David Alaba and Thomas Müller scored when they last hosted Italian visitors – a 2-0 win over Juventus in the 2012/13 UEFA Champions League quarter-finals.
• Roma have managed at least one away victory in each of their last four UEFA Champions League group stage campaigns.
• Roma's away record against German opposition is W2 D0 L9.
• Totti has played against Roma's last four Bundesliga opponents, starting with Karlsruher SC in the 1996/97 UEFA Cup. He was on the bench when they last won in Germany – 3-0 at Hamburger SV in the 2000/01 UEFA Cup third round.
Coach and player links
• Guardiola appeared four times in Serie A and once in the UEFA Champions League for Roma in 2002/03, playing alongside Totti and De Rossi. He spent 2001/02 at Brescia Calcio, making 11 Serie A outings.
• Guardiola's first encounter with an Italian club was in the 1992 European Champion Clubs' Cup final when Barcelona beat UC Sampdoria 1-0. He lost the 1994 final against AC Milan (0-4).
• As LOSC Lille coach, Rudi Garcia faced Bayern on matchdays three and four of the 2012/13 UEFA Champions League, going down 1-0 at home and 6-1 away.
• Medhi Benatia spent 2013/14 with Roma (33 Serie A matches, five goals).
• Seydou Keita played for Guardiola at Barcelona (2008–12), winning two UEFA Champions League titles.
• Keita scored at Bayern for Barcelona in a 1-1 away draw in the 2008/09 quarter-finals (agg 5-1).
• Morgan De Sanctis faced Bayern with SSC Napoli in the 2011/12 group stage (1-1 h, 2-3 a).
• Maicon lined up alongside Dante in the Brazil team beaten 7-1 by Germany in the 2014 FIFA World Cup semi-finals. Manuel Neuer, Philipp Lahm, Jérôme Boateng, Bastian Schweinsteiger and Müller – scorer of the first goal – all featured for Germany.
• Maicon's FC Internazionale Milano beat Bayern 2-0 in the 2010 UEFA Champions League final, and then on away goals in the last 16 in 2010/11.
• Ashley Cole put a penalty past Neuer as Chelsea FC overcame Bayern on spot kicks in the 2012 UEFA Champions League final at the Fußball Arena München. He converted another in the 2013 UEFA Super Cup shoot-out between the sides in Prague, but this time Bayern prevailed.
• At the 2010 World Cup, Cole was in the England team felled 4-1 by Germany in the last 16, Müller registering twice.
• In the UEFA EURO 2012 opening game, Robert Lewandowski struck for Poland in a 1-1 draw with Vasilis Torosidis and José Holebas's Greece. Torosidis was in the Greece side ousted 4-2 by Germany in the quarter-finals, Lahm scoring.
• Holebas was born in Germany and made 74 league appearances for TSV 1860 München (2006–10).
• Rafinha represented Genoa CFC in 2010/11 (34 Serie A games, two goals); Pepe Reina spent last term at Napoli (30 Serie A matches).
• Other connections:
Keita and Thiago (Barcelona, 2008–12);
Cole and Arjen Robben (Chelsea, 2006/07);
Cole and Claudio Pizarro (Chelsea, 2007/08);
Rafinha and Mattia Destro (Genoa, 2010/11);
Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa and Franck Ribéry (France);
Łukasz Skorupski and Lewandowski (Poland).
• Bayern are 15 matches unbeaten since losing 2-0 to Borussia Dortmund in the German Super Cup on 13 August.
• Robben, having missed Bayern's previous two games due to muscular problems, scored a late winner from the spot as the German title holders recovered from a goal down to defeat Dortmund 2-1 in Munich on Saturday.
• Marco Reus's headed opener was the first Bundesliga goal Bayern had conceded since 31 August. Lewandowski equalised against his former club.
• Five days after scoring seven against Roma, Bayern drew 0-0 with VfL Borussia Mönchengladbach.
• Guardiola's side reached the German Cup round of 16 thanks to a 3-1 win at Hamburger SV on 29 October.
• Thiago Alcántara returned to training on 9 October after a knee injury that has kept him out since 29 March, but is sidelined again after partially tearing ligaments in the same joint five days later.
• Reina suffered a calf injury on 6 October and will be sidelined for several weeks. Tom Starke underwent ankle surgery on 20 October.
• Javi Martínez (out since 13 August, knee) and Holger Badstuber (13 September, left thigh) are long-term absentees. Schweinsteiger (knee) is yet to feature for Bayern this term but is back in light training.
• Robben, Mario Götze, Neuer, Lahm, Müller and Schweinsteiger are among the nominees for the 2014 FIFA Ballon d'Or. Guardiola is in the running for the FIFA World Coach of the Year for Men's Football.
• Radja Nainggolan and Maicon are both a booking away from a suspension.
• Roma followed up their 7-1 defeat by Bayern with two clean sheets. They drew 0-0 away to UC Sampdoria four days later and beat AC Cesena 2-0 on 29 October.
• On Saturday, however, the Wolves succumbed 2-0 at SSC Napoli, their third defeat in six games in all competitions.
• De Rossi rounded off the scoring against Cesena with his first goal for Roma since 25 August 2013.
• Against Cesena, De Rossi made his 344th league appearance for Roma, drawing level with Sergio Santarini in third place on the club's all-time list.
• Maicon has not played since missing the Bayern game with a knee injury. Kevin Strootman (out since March, knee) and Leandro Castán (late September, thigh) are nearing full fitness.
• Davide Astori was not involved against Napoli due to a left thigh strain that is expected to keep him out for up to three weeks.
• Former FIFA Women's World Player of the Year Mia Hamm joined the Giallorossi board on 27 October and will also serve as the club's ambassador in the United States.
*Subject to updates