PFC CSKA Moskva will bid to avenge a 5-1 opening-night defeat at AS Roma when the sides reconvene in the Russian capital with each targeting second spot in Group E.
Article top media content
PFC CSKA Moskva are looking to avenge a 5-1 opening-night reverse at AS Roma when the teams reconvene in the Russian capital on matchday five.
• CSKA, buoyed by victory at Manchester City FC last time out, sit level on four points with Roma but need to beat the Giallorossi to usurp them in second place.
• Roma will secure qualification if they beat CSKA and City fail to defeat section winners FC Bayern München in Group E's other game.
• Roma overcame CSKA on away goals in the first round of the 1991/92 European Cup Winners' Cup. The Giallorossi won 2-1 in Moscow on 18 September 1991 and survived a 1-0 home loss in the second leg.
• The lineups for that previous encounter in Russia were:
CSKA: Kharin, Kuznetsov, Bystrov, Fokin, Kolesnikov (Dmitriev 46), Kolotovkin, Korneev (Masalitin 76), Broshin, Galyamin, Tatarchuk, Sergeev.
Roma: Cervone, De Marchi (Garzya 46), Piacentini, Aldair, Carboni, Nela, Hässler, Di Mauro, Giannini, Bonacina, Völler.
• CSKA are seeking to qualify for the last 16 for the third time in six years.
• Including this campaign's defeat by Bayern (0-1) and draw with City (2-2), CSKA have won just one of their last seven UEFA Champions League home matches – and that was played in St Petersburg, against FC Viktoria Plzeň last season, owing to the condition of their Moscow pitch.
• Igor Akinfeev, Aleksei and Vasili Berezutski, and Sergei Ignashevich played in CSKA's 3-0 home victory over Parma FC in the 2004/05 UEFA Cup semi-final second leg. Vasili Berezutski scored that night and also found the net along with Seydou Doumbia when CSKA prevailed 2-1 at FC Internazionale Milano in the 2011/12 group stage.
• CSKA's home record against Italian sides is W2 D1 L4. They have actually won more away games against Serie A opposition (three in eight matches).
• Roma are chasing a first away victory in Group E after drawing at City (1-1) and losing at Bayern (0-2). They have won at least one away game in each of their preceding four group stage campaigns.
• The Giallorossi won on each of their three previous trips to Russia and their overall record against Russian opponents is W6 D0 L1.
• Francesco Totti was in the last Roma team to visit Moscow for a 1-0 success at FC Lokomotiv Moskva in the 2001/02 first group stage. He had got the winner in Roma's 2-1 home victory over Lokomotiv – and played against Ignashevich in both matches.
Coach and player links
• As LOSC Lille coach, Rudi Garcia faced CSKA in the 2011/12 UEFA Champions League group stage, losing a two-goal lead in a 2-2 home draw when Doumbia scored twice. LOSC won 2-0 in Moscow on matchday five – with the help of a Vasili Berezutski own goal – but CSKA still finished second while the Dogues were bottom.
• With Inter, Maicon beat CSKA home and away (both 1-0) in the 2009/10 quarter-finals. He also featured in a 4-2 home victory in the 2007/08 group stage.
• Miralem Pjanić helped Bosnia and Herzegovina defeat Doumbia's Ivory Coast 2-1 in a pre-FIFA World Cup friendly in May.
• Roman Eremenko has played in Italy for Udinese Calcio and AC Siena.
• When Zoran Tošić left FK Partizan for Manchester United FC in 2009, Adem Ljajić was reported to be following him to Old Trafford as part of the deal but Ljajić's move eventually broke down. Other player links are Gervinho and Doumbia (Ivory Coast) and Eremenko and Morgan De Sanctis (Udinese).
• Eremenko is a yellow card away from a suspension.
• CSKA have suffered three successive league defeats, conceding twice in the opening six minutes on Saturday in a 2-1 loss at FC Krasnodar that allowed their opponents to rise above them into second place. The Army Men are now ten points adrift of leaders FC Zenit.
• Vitinho, having recovered from an ankle injury, made his first appearance in ten weeks as the Army Men were beaten 2-1 in a friendly by FC Mordovia Saransk on 16 November.
• Bebras Natcho is expected to miss matchday five with a muscular problem picked up on international duty. Rasmus Elm has been sidelined with a stomach injury.
• Tošić opened the scoring in Serbia's 3-1 home defeat by Denmark in a UEFA EURO 2016 qualifier on 14 November.
• Four days later, Ignashevich's header helped Russia overcome Hungary 2-1 in a Budapest friendly.
• Akinfeev has conceded a goal in each of his past 25 UEFA Champions League matches. His last clean sheet in the competition came when CSKA drew 0-0 at Arsenal FC on 1 November 2006.
• Radja Nainggolan and Maicon are both a booking away from suspension.
• Davide Astori returned to action after three games out with a left thigh strain on Saturday as Roma recovered from conceding a goal inside the first minute to win 2-1 at Atalanta BC. It was the Giallorossi's first win in six away matches in all competitions.
• Following 2-0 losses to SSC Napoli and Bayern, Roma returned to winning ways when they defeated Torino FC 3-0 at home on 9 November. Vasilis Torosidis and Seydou Keita scored their first goals of the season.
• Kevin Strootman played the last eight minutes against Torino, his first appearance since suffering a serious knee injury on 9 March.
• Roma have won all six of their home Serie A games this season, scoring 14 goals and conceding none.
• Daniele De Rossi's appearance against Torino was his 345th league outing for Roma, taking him above Sergio Santarini to third place on the club's all-time list. Totti (569) and Giacomo Losi (386) are ahead of the midfielder.
• A week later De Rossi earned his 100th cap for Italy as the Azzurri drew 1-1 against Croatia in UEFA EURO 2016 qualifying.
• Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa suffered a thigh injury during France's friendly against Albania on 14 November and is expected to be out for around three weeks. Maicon (knee) has not played since 18 October.
• Leandro Castán, who has played just once this term, will undergo neurosurgery next month to resolve "a congenital vascular alteration in his brain".