Four of Wednesday's group games ended in draws but there were sizeable wins for FC Porto and AS Roma as well as narrow ones for FC Barcelona and FC Bayern München.
Article top media content
• Porto equal the record matchday one victory with 6-0 defeat of BATE
• Roma also impressive as they hit five past CSKA in the Italian capital
• Bayern score in the 90th minute to secure 1-0 win against Manchester City
• Gerard Piqué gets the only goal as Barcelona edge victory against APOEL
Follow the links for video highlights (until 24.00CET on Thursday), match reports and extensive reaction
FC Bayern München 1-0 Manchester City FC
• Bayern left it late to break the resilience of the English champions, who won 3-2 in Munich on matchday six last term.
AFC Ajax 1-1 Paris Saint-Germain
• Zlatan Ibrahimović was frustrated on his return to his old club as Paris surrendered their lead when Lasse Schöne scored with 16 minutes left.
NK Maribor 1-1 Sporting Clube de Portugal
• Maribor, in the group stage for only the second time, equalised in the second minute of added time to cancel out Nani's earlier effort.
Athletic Club 0-0 FC Shakhtar Donetsk
• Shakhtar failed to win for the first time in nine games in all competitions this season.