Voting for the UEFA.com users' Team of the Year has reached unprecedented levels, with the 2013 record of 6.3 million votes cast surpassed inside the first week.
Article top media content
The UEFA.com users' Team of the Year 2014 vote has been open for only a week but the record of 6.3 million votes cast has already been smashed after an unprecedented response.
The 6.3 million-mark set 12 months ago was surpassed on Monday night, establishing a new high-water mark for a poll now in its 14th edition. Over three million votes were cast in the first 24 hours alone after polling began last Tuesday, and the initial rush of fans choosing their stars of the year from a 40-strong selection has scarcely eased off.
UEFA.com users have until 13.00CET on 6 January to cast their vote, with the final lineup to be announced on 9 January on UEFA.com, and included in the January edition of Champions Matchday, the official UEFA Champions League magazine.
Team of the Year facts
• This is the 14th Team of the Year.
• Users can pick their formation from four goalkeepers, 12 defenders, 12 midfielders and 12 forwards.
• Twelve players involved in the 2014 UEFA Champions League final are in contention.
• Fourteen clubs appear on the list from seven different leagues, with 19 nationalities represented.
• UEFA will once again set aside €100,000 for a player voted into the team to present to the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC).