FC Barcelona beat Villarreal CF 3-1 in their Copa del Rey semi-final first leg to edge closer to a record 27th crown, as Paris Saint-Germain and AS Monaco FC enjoyed French Cup success.
Article top media content
Copa del Rey semi-final first legs
• FC Barcelona a step nearer a record 27th Copa del Rey crown after 3-1 defeat of Villarreal CF.
• Andrés Iniesta – yet to score in the Liga this term – gets third goal of Copa campaign.
• Villarreal have not beaten the Catalan giants since March 2008, losing ten.
• Athletic Club drew 1-1 at home to RCD Espanyol.
• Both second legs are on 4 March with the final on 30 May at a venue to be decided.
• Paris Saint-Germain eased past FC Nantes into the last eight of the French Cup.
• Edinson Cavani's stooping header and Yohan Cabaye's simple sidefoot finish do damage.
• AS Monaco FC dispatch Stade Rennais FC 3-1 with two goals in first 11 minutes.
• Paris drawn at home to Monaco in the last eight.
• EA Guingamp beat AS Yzeure by same score after extra time following last-gasp equaliser against the fourth-tier side.
• Guingamp forward Christophe Mandanne hits double to extend purple patch.
• On Tuesday, AS Saint-Étienne win 2-1 at third division Red Star FC in Paris.
• Second division AJ Auxerre, third-tier US Boulogne and fourth-level US Concarneau also go through.
• FC Metz welcome Stade Brestois 29 for the last quarter-final place on Thursday.